The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun village:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun village
- Phrases with Village
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Village
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Village
- Photos about Village
- Videos about Village
- Sign language
- Quotes about Village
- Scrabble value of V4I1L1L1A1G2E1
- Share this page
The word village is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun village
What does village mean as a name of something?
Village is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural:
- village: villages
- Village: -
- a community of people smaller than a town
- a settlement smaller than a town
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonym of village: hamlet
- more generic word: settlement = an area where a group of families live together
- more specific words:
- Cheddar = a village in southwestern England where cheddar cheese was first made
- Sealyham = a village in southwestern Wales where the Sealyham terrier was first bred
- El Alamein = a village to the west of Alexandria on the northern coast of Egypt
- Jericho = a village in Palestine near the north end of the Dead Sea
- Jamestown = a former village on the James River in Virginia to the north of Norfolk
- Chancellorsville = a village in northeastern Virginia
- Spotsylvania = a village in northeastern Virginia where battles were fought during the American Civil War
- Yorktown = a historic village in southeastern Virginia to the north of Newport News
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonym of Village: Greenwich Village
- instance of: community / residential area / residential district = a district where people live
- part of: Greater New York / New York / New York City = the largest city in New York State and in the United States; located in southeastern New York at the mouth of the Hudson river
Alternative definition of the noun village
- a rural habitation of size between a hamlet and a town.
- [Australia] a planned community such as a retirement community or shopping district
"Village" a.k.a. "The Village" is a 2004 American psychological thriller film, written, produced, and directed by M. Night Shyamalan about a village whose inhabitants live in fear of creatures inhabiting the woods beyond it. The movie received mixed reviews due to the "twist" ending. The film gave composer James Newton Howard his fourth Academy Award nomination for Best Original Score. Despite the initial mixed reaction to the film, critics' opinion on the film has been more positive in recent years and has since developed a cult following especially among M. Night Shyamalan fans.
- also known as M. Night Shyamalan's The Village
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Sam Mercer, Scott Rudin, M. Night Shyamalan
- production design by Tom Foden
- art direction by Chris Shriver, Tim Beach, Michael Manson
- written by M. Night Shyamalan
- Bryce Dallas Howard as Ivy Walker
- Joaquin Phoenix as Lucius Hunt
- Adrien Brody as Noah Percy
- William Hurt as Edward Walker
- Sigourney Weaver as Alice Hunt
- Brendan Gleeson as August Nicholson
- Cherry Jones as Mrs. Clack
- Celia Weston as Vivian Percy
- Jayne Atkinson as Tabitha Walker
- Judy Greer as Kitty Walker
- Jesse Eisenberg as Jamison
- M. Night Shyamalan as Guard at Desk
- Michael Pitt as Finton Coin
- Fran Kranz as Christop Crane
- John Christopher Jones as Robert Percy
- Frank Collison as Victor
- Charlie Hofheimer as Young Security Guard
- Scott Sowers as Man With The Raised Eyebrows
- Zack Wall as Donald
- Pascale Renate Smith as Marybeth
- Jordan Burt as 12-Year-Old-Boy
- Jane Lowe as Brown-Eyed Girl
- Charlie McDermott as 10-Year-Old-Boy
- Robert Lenzi as Young Man
- Willem Zuur as Gerald
- Liz Stauber as Beatrice
- Tim Moyer as Flustered Man
- Sydney Shapiro as Oldest Walker Daughter
- Mia Rose Colona as Middle Walker Daughter
- Chloe Wieczkowski as Youngest Walker Daughter #1
- Sydney Wieczkowski as Youngest Walker Daughter #2
- John Rusk as Radio Announcer
- Joey Anaya
- Kevin Foster
- Robert Randolph Caton as Village Elder
- Christopher Descano as Dancing Villager
- John Dinan as Young Man Dancer
- Evangeline Williams as Young Woman
- Sean Andrew Fash as Schoolboy
- Matthew Flynn as Teen Boy
- David Foster as Village Elder
- Thomas M. Hagen as Wedding Dancer
- Jessica Jennings as Featured Dancer
- Shannon Lambert-Ryan as Sweeping Girl Who Picks the Red Flower
- Nicholas Alexander Martino as Philip
- casting by Douglas Aibel
- cinematography by Roger Deakins
- edited by Christopher Tellefsen
- music by James Newton Howard
- costume design by Ann Roth
- set decoration by Larry Dias
- genres: Mystery, Thriller, Fantasy, Drama
- rating: PG-13 (USA)
- released on (10 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Academy Award for Best Original Music Score nomination for James Newton Howard
- MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance - Female nomination for Bryce Dallas Howard
- Online Film Critics Society Award for Best Breakthrough Performance nomination for Bryce Dallas Howard
- Evening Standard British Film Award for Best Technical/Artistic Achievement nomination for Roger Deakins
- Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie: Scary Scene (Ivy Walker waits at the door for Lucius Hunt.) nomination for Bryce Dallas Howard
- Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie: Horror/Thriller
- Empire Award for Best Director nomination for M. Night Shyamalan
- Empire Award for Best Actress nomination for Bryce Dallas Howard
- Golden Trailer Award for Best Horror/Thriller
- ASCAP Film and Television Music Award for Top Box Office Films nomination for James Newton Howard
- Empire Award for Best Newcomer nomination for Bryce Dallas Howard
- Evening Standard British Film Award for Best Technical/Artistic Achievement, received by Roger Deakins
- ASCAP Film and Television Music Award for Top Box Office Films, received by James Newton Howard
- "Village" is a book by Marghanita Laski.
- "Village" is a book by Bruce Jones.
- subject: Popular literature
- "Village" a.k.a. "The Village" is a short novel by a Nobel Prize-winning Russian author Ivan Bunin written in 1909 and first published in Sovremenny Mir journal under the title Novelet. The Village caused much controversy at the time; it was highly praised among others by Maxim Gorky and is now generally regarded as Bunin's first masterpiece. Composed of brief episodes in the Russian provinces at the time of the Revolution of 1905 and set in the author's birthplace, it told the story of the two peasant brothers, one a brute drunk, the other a gentler, more sympathetic character. Bunin's realistic portrayal of village life jarred with the idealized picture of 'unspoiled' peasants which was common in the mainstream Russian literature, and offended many with characters some of which "sunk so far below the average of intelligence as to be scarcely human".
- read more about The Village
- "Village" is a painting (oil paint) by Maurice de Vlaminck, completed in (103 years ago).
- media: oil paint
- genre: Landscape painting
- "Village" is a painting by Lyonel Feininger, completed in (88 years ago).
- "Village" is an artwork by Satish Gujral.
- "Village" is an artwork by B. Prabha.
- "Village" is an artwork by Alfred Pellan.
- "Village" is an artwork by Jules Dupré.
- "Village" is an artwork by Ivan Generalić.
- "Village" is a composition.
- music by Kenji Itō
- "Village" is a musical album by The Secret Carpet Club.
- released on
- "Village" is a musical album of Asgaut.
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Village" is a musical album of Wallace Roney.
- "Village" is a composition.
- music by Alexander Brandon
- "Village" is a composition.
- music by Radek Szamrej
- "Village" is an album of the music artist Bird McIntyre.
- artist: Thongchai McIntyre
Who is Village?
Village is an actor.
- also known as Village Dumetz
- profession: Actor
- read more about Village (actor)
- Village: In the U.S. state of Vermont, villages are named communities located within the boundaries of an incorporated town. Villages may be incorporated or unincorporated.
- Village: A village in the U.S. state of Oregon is a model of local governance that as of 2006 only exists in Clackamas County. Like villages elsewhere, it is a subnational entity; like New York's villages, the definition is unique to a state.
- Village: A Village in Pennsylvania is a geographic area within a larger political subdivision, usually a Township, although some villages are located within a Borough. Often, a village is also a census-designated place, but this is not always the case.
- also known as Pennsylvania village
- Village is an electoral ward of Trafford, Greater Manchester, covering the eastern part of the village of Timperley, including the Village Centre, and part of Brooklands.
- Village a.k.a. Village, Virginia: Village is an unincorporated community in Northumberland and Richmond counties, Virginia, United States. Village is located on U.S. Route 360 east of Warsaw.
- read more about Village, Virginia
There are other places with in their name, like UC Village, Bay Village, Com Village, Dow Village, New Village, Pit village, Sun Village, Boys Village, Bozo Village, Buna village, City Village, Crow Village, Dean Village, Dome Village, Door Village, East Village, Glen Village, Kaul Village, Lake Village.
Village is a drinking establishment.
- also known as The Village
- part of United Kingdom
- Village: In the United States, the meaning of "village" varies by geographic area and legal jurisdiction. In many areas, "village" is a term, sometimes informal, for a type of administrative division at the local government level. Since the Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution makes local government for the most part a matter for the states rather than the federal government, the states are free to have political subdivisions called "villages," or not to do so, and to define the word in many different ways. Typically, a village is a type of municipality, although it can also be a special district or an unincorporated area. It may or may not be recognized for governmental purposes.
- Village is an Irish current affairs magazine founded by Vincent Browne. It was launched in October 2004 and was published weekly.
- official website: villagemagazine.wordpress.com
- Village a.k.a. Administrative village: An administrative village is the lowest level of government administration in Indonesia. It could be a village or a kelurahan. A village is headed by a village chief, which is elected by popular vote. A kelurahan is headed by a lurah, a civil servant appointed by local government. A village is divided non-administratively into local communities which manage certain number of households. In Aceh, a village is called as gampong. Since the implementation of regional autonomy in 2001, the larger nagari has been introduced in place of the desa as the lowest government unit in West Sumatra.
- read more about Administrative village
- Village: A Village in the context of New Jersey local government, refers to one of five types and one of eleven forms of municipal government.
- Village: Villages are the fourth level administrative subdivisions of Taiwan. It is the basic unit of Taiwanese administrative subdivision; under townships, county-controlled cities or districts. There are two types of villages depending on the divisions it belongs to and the population it contains.
- Village is a school, educational institution.
- Village is an educational institution, school.
Phrases with Village
Phrases starting with the word Village:
- Village Bike
- village cart
- Village hall
- village green
- Village idiot
- Village Weaver
- Village Goosefoot
- Village Indigobird
Phrases ending with the word Village:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Village
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by New York (State). Department of Labor
The village is an important trading center for the surrounding country, which is devoted to dairy farming and to general agriculture. Building stone...
The Twenty-seventh of June, 1969, in Two Acts by Doric Wilson
Greenwich Village is the setting for this look at some of the characters--including junkies, weirdos, queens, dykes, and other assorted types--to be found along Christopher Street.--Furtado, Gay and Lesbian American plays (1993).
The village is the lowest level of the local government structure. Next to the ...
The New England Gazetteer (1839)
Containing Descriptions of All the States, Counties and Towns in New England: Also Descriptions of the Principal Mountains, Rivers, Lakes, Capes, Bays, Harbors, Islands, and Fashionable Resorts Within that Territory. Alphabetically Arranged by John Hayward
Farmington village is a delightful place, on an elevated plain, surrounded by high hills. The street is about two miles in length, beautifully shaded, and contains, besides two churches and an academy, about 100 neat dwelling houses, some of ...
Valuing Crop Biodiversity (2005)
On-farm Genetic Resources and Economic Change by Melinda Smale
The village is the smallest social unit for policy interventions targeted at sustainable management of crop biodiversity on farms. Villages have the capacity to govern the utilization and conservation of genetic resources, reconciling private and ...
Small Vegetables (2015)
Tangled Roots in a Village by the Sea by Audrey Ogilvie
Blackburn Village is a quintessentially beautiful Colonial enclave on the South Shore of Nova Scotia, "a place where psychiatric diagnoses are inconsequential and organizing a chapter of A.A. would be a terrible waste of time.
by Hamlet Bareh
However, after the formation of the state of Nagaland in 1963, within the life of the first Legislative Assembly itself, a law was passed to establish village, area and regional councils, under the Village, Area and Regional Councils Act. The basic ...
Encyclopedia of Ukraine (2016)
Volume V: St-Z by Danylo Husar Struk
form is the irregular cluster village. Radial settlements are also common in the region, because the central square often functioned as a defense zone from the raiding Tatars. Southern Ukraine, which was colonized only after the 18th century , ...
And of the Islands in the British Seas by Nicholas Carlisle
of feu-duty and rents from the Old Village; the manse, and offices, are in a state of rapid decay: Patron, ...
Encyclopedia of Ohio Indians (1998)
by Donald Ricky
small communities in the area, including the Poosepatuck and Shinnecock Reservations, and the Montauk Indian Village. MORAVIANS Mahican, Munsee, and Delawares who followed the teachings of the Moravian brethren, were gathered by ...
by Donald Ricky
small communities in the area, including the Poosepatuck and Shinne- cock Reservations, and the Montauk Indian Village. MORAVIANS Mahican, Munsee, and Delawares who followed the teachings of the Moravian brethren, were gathered ...
Encyclopedia of Nebraska (1999)
by Nancy Capace
The village is named for the Brule tribe of the Teton Sioux. Points of interest include an Oregon Trail marker, which is about two miles from the Lower California Crossing, where one route of the Oregon Trail crossed the South Platte . Some of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Village
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Village
Click on an item to view that photo:
Kuldhara, Jaisalmer, India
Photo credit: oarranzli
Photo credit: Rafa Win
Photo credit: oneVillage Initiative
Photo credit: RHvdG
Photo credit: Runder
Photo credit: fdecomite
Photo credit: L.Cheryl
- Indonesian Traditional Village
Focal Length14 mm
Exposure Bias-2/3 EV
Photo credit: Adhi Rachdian
- Small Village
Photo credit: zolakoma
- Hong Village
Photo credit: llee_wu
- Chuong village
Photo credit: ePi.Longo
- Whistler Village
Photo credit: keepitsurreal
- Village garden
A Hungarian village garen in the evening
Photo credit: KoviX
- Arsos Village
Photo credit: dora-CY
- Fishing Village
Photo credit: LeonardKong
- Village sign Sibton Suffolk
Photo credit: Brokentaco
- Village Sign
Photo credit: Brokentaco
- Xidi Village
Photo credit: llee_wu
- Village Pond
Photo credit: BOMBMAN
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Village
Click on an item to play that video:
- Shandong Dialect - Shopping at a Village Market in Shandong China
- SOS Children's Village BC Neurofeedback Explanation
Mark Thomas, Clinical Director at SOS BC, is interviewed for the Global TV program 'Global Village' about Neurofeedback therapy.
- Village Meaning
Video shows what village means. A rural habitation of size between a hamlet and a town.. A rural habitation that has a church, but no market.. A planned ...
- The Queen visits Village Idiom
- Coral Sea Holiday Village...A New Definition of Holidays!
- Do you know Canada is an Indian word meaning Big Village
Do you know Canada is an Indian word meaning Big Village ! The name of Canada has been in use since the earliest European settlement in Canada, with the ...
- Spain: Newcomers Find Meaning in Abandonded Village
See the original video, by Ana Torres, here...
- Greenwood Village CO Periodontist Shares Explanation of LANAP Gum Disease Treatment
- All Together Now and Dialect at Fat Village
- Syrian village clings to Aramaic language - 25 Dec 07
As Christians around the world mark the birth of Jesus Christ, for one Syrian village the day has a little extra significance. Maaloula is one of very few places ...
- Hungary village Geresdlak goes Finnish with EU-funded language classes and saunas
Geresdlak in southern Hungary is a village of just 900 people. The picturesque hamlet is a living... euronews, the most watched news channel in Europe ...
- Manoj Bajpai Reveals About His Village In Bhojpuri Language
Sanjay Nirupam had Organised Chatt Pooja on Juhu Beach. A massive crowd was witnessed on Juhu Beach for this festival. Among the thousands of people ...
- English language village opens in South Korea today
SHOTLIST Paju 1. Wide shot of "English Village." 2. General views of people relaxing. 3. Teacher and students walking into school. 4. Interiors of classroom 5: ...
- Kamedia's Language Village
Kamedia's Language Village outlines the efficient combination of a Learn Management System and virtual worlds. The Language Village can be used either as ...
- Learning the Nubian Language, Nubian Village in Aswan.
- Arts Village Language Lesson: Twi
Arts Village student Sharifa gives a brief overview of Twi, a language spoken in Ghana as part of an on-going Arts Village workshop series. (Spring 2006)
- Learn English Study Lesson 86 - Village (Free ESL)
This video describes the beach, the water and the hot bathing pool in English. You can study and learn how to read, speak, write and listen with this free lesson.
- Chatterdale Mystery (Virtual language village in OpenSim)
Chatterdale Mystery is a quest in Chatterdale, the first virtual language village on OpenSim. The village is built by 3DLES, the quest is written by NEXT TELL.
- MV8 Muslim Village Description,Food,Cottage,Structure of Lawyer, Ameer,Qadi Court Begins at 3:52
1. Food Corruption - McDonalds. Mason.
- Dubai Vlog Free Language Course at Dubai Knowledge Village
Free arabic language course, Dubai Knowledge Village Vlog #15 website...
- Free smurfberries in smurf village (description)
All you have to do is jailbreak your iPod/iPhone/iPad and go to Cydia. You look for "IAPCRACKER" and install it. When you have this, you can purchase all the ...
- Yucatec Maya Language: Donato from Xquerol, a Maya village in Quintano Roo
Donato Coh Pech answers typical questions that you would ask someone who you just met. He is 58 years old and lives in the small town of Xquerol in Quintana ...
- CRF Water purification Plant Number 4 in KHARORO CHARAN VILLAGE Description of Plant 06 mint NEW
- Global Learning village, Famagusta, Cyprus. (Language Institute)
Global Learning Village is a unique English Institute using new approaches towards learning. Teaching English to International Students using International ...
- Alphabet of the Language Spoken at Weskokop Village, Huon Peninsula, Papua New Guinea
The Teacher of the Weskokop Village School teaches the alphabet of the language spoken in this village. There are 840 different languages spoken in Papua ...
- Manoj Bajpai Reveals About His Village In Bhojpuri Language 1
Bhojpuri Stage Show Pawan Singh Bhojpuri Stage Show Bhojpuri Interview Bhojpuri Stage Show Khesari Lal Yadav Bhojpuri Stage Show Manoj Tiwari ...
- Digischool Screencast - Chatterdale - virtual language village (English)
Chatterdale, the virtual English language village of Digischool.
- Distinct Form Experience Language Modern Long Village House Design
minecraft modern village house, modern village house design, village house design plan, village house designs minecraft This modern village house has ...
Click on an item to play that video:
- Kenyan Sign Language: Village
Extended Index Finger Handshape with palm facing back is placed on top of head with finger pointing up. Memory Aid: Huts in the villages often have sticks ...
- The Cooler: Village learns sign language for resident
ISTANBUL, Turkey (WKRC) -- You might have heard the expression "it takes a village." An entire town in Istanbul just came together to surprise their deaf ...
- Minister Leo Varadkar learns sign language at Deaf Village Ireland
- Imagine in Sign Language Agassiz Village '09
Quotes about Village
How strange is the story of
Ali Rıza and Ahmet
One lives in the village
The other in the city
And every morning
The one in the city goes to the village
And the one in the village to the city (Orhan Veli Kanik)
more quotes about village...
Scrabble value of V4I1L1L1A1G2E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Village to see it in context!