On this page:
- Definition of the noun vitriol
- Definition of the verb vitriol
- Phrases with Vitriol
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Vitriol
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Vitriol
- Photos about Vitriol
- Video about Vitriol
- Scrabble value of V4I1T1R1I1O1L1
- Anagrams of VITRIOL
- Share this page
Definition of the noun vitriol
What does vitriol mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: vitriols
- (H2SO4) a highly corrosive acid made from sulfur dioxide; widely used in the chemical industry
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonyms of vitriol: oil of vitriol / sulfuric acid / sulphuric acid
- more generic word: acid = any of various water-soluble compounds having a sour taste and capable of turning litmus red and reacting with a base to form a salt
- more specific terms: electrolyte acid / battery acid = dilute sulfuric acid used in storage batteries
- substance: atomic number 16 / sulphur / sulfur / S = an abundant tasteless odorless multivalent nonmetallic element; best known in yellow crystals
- abusive or venomous language used to express blame or censure or bitter deep-seated ill will
Alternative definition of the noun vitriol
- [dated] sulphuric acid and various metal sulphates
- [context: by extension] bitterly abusive language; invective or vituperation
Definition of the verb vitriol
What does vitriol mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: vitriolled, vitriolling
- expose to the effects of vitriol or injure with vitriol
- subject to bitter verbal abuse
- Vitriol is a musical group.
- albums: "I-VII", "Randonée"
- Vitriol is a French Heavy Metal band.
- album: "The Beginning"
Vitriol is a fictional character in the 2011 animated film Daddy, I´m a Zombie.
- "Vitriol" is a musical album of Evenoire.
- released on
- "Vitriol" is a musical single of Bluejuice.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Vitriol" is a musical album of George Hrab.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Vitriol" is a musical album of Fear My Thoughts.
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Vitriol" is a musical album of IM NEBEL.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Vitriol" is a composition.
- music by Marco Binotto
Vitriol is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
Phrases with Vitriol
- Vitriol of Mars
- Red Vitriol
- blue vitriol
- iron vitriol
- zinc vitriol
- green vitriol
- white vitriol
- oil of vitriol
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Vitriol
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Compendium of Human Knowledge
Green vitriol is the popular name for sulphate of iron. Its characters, the method of obtaining it, and its therapeutic uses, are sufficiently noticed in the article Ikon.
Vitriolated tartar is another Very valuable medicine, prepared from green vitriols, which attenuates the humours, refills putrefaction, and opens obftruftions of the vifcera. See the article TARTAR. 2. White vitriol is a true and genuine, though not ...
Philosophical Transactions, Giving Some Accompt of the Present Undertakings, Studies, and Labours of the Ingenious in Many Considerable Parts of the World (1670)
Vitriol is the Salt of Iron, and there is no Iron without it.
Exhibiting Their Present State in Every Part of the World; and Carefully Comp. from the Latest and Best Authorities by Thomas Mortimer
Green vitriol is an article of considerable internal and external commerce: it is made in several parts of England, but the most considerable manufacture of this article is carried on at Dept!ordin Kent. The copperas is made from a fire stone ...
by Nicolas LÉMERY
White Vitriol is a Salt drawn by the Evaporation ofthe Water of Vitriolick Fcuntains, or rather, it is a Gredl Vitriol calcined' into a white Colour, and afterwards dZssOIVed in Water, which is siltrated and dried over the Fire: However, certainly it is ...
The domestic encyclopedia, or, A dictionary of facts and useful knowledge, chiefly applicable to rural & domestic economy (1821)
with an appendix, containing additions in domestic medicine, and the veterinary and culinary arts by Anthony Florian Madinger Willich, Thomas Cooper, Katherine Golden Bitting Collection on Gastronomy (Library of Congress)
VITRIOL, a compound salt, formed by the combination of zinc, copper, or iron, with the sulphuric, or vitriolic acid...
Containing the Art of Farriery in All Its Branches; with Whatever Relates to the Manage, and to the Knowledge, Breeding, Feeding, and Dieting of Horses ... by Thomas Wallis (surgeon.)
ounce; vinegar, or verjuice, fix • ounces; white vitriol dissolved in * four ounces of spring water, one * ounce, mix together.' In the lower limbs, the farcy lies fometimes concealed for a great while; and makes so slow a progress, that it is often ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Vitriol
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Vitriol
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Day 225: Vitriol
Photo credit: quinn.anya
- Headphones and warm vitriol
Sent from "hope is important"
Photo credit: mrsjadekenny
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Vitriol
Video shows what vitriol means. sulphuric acid and various metal sulphates. bitterly abusive language. Vitriol Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Vitriol!
Scrabble value of V4I1T1R1I1O1L1
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of VITRIOL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Vitriol!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Vitriol to see it in context!