Vocal appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Spill a cover-up now, on pure vocal lips.
- Did a bare vocal leap at a paella cover a bad ID?
- Did anal sex, if LA covets a wi-fi, waste vocal fixes? Lana did.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun vocal:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun vocal
- Definition of the adjective vocal
- Phrases with Vocal
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Vocal
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Vocal
- Photos about Vocal
- Video language resources about Vocal
- Sign language
- Quotes about Vocal
- Scrabble value of V4O1C3A1L1
- Anagrams of VOCAL
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun vocal
What does vocal mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: vocals
- music intended to be performed by one or more singers, usually with instrumental accompaniment
- a short musical composition with words
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of vocal: song
- more generic terms: composition / musical composition / opus / piece / piece of music = a musical work that has been created
- more specific terms:
- religious song = religious music for singing
- anthem = a song of devotion or loyalty
- aria = an elaborate song for solo voice
- ballad / lay = a narrative song with a recurrent refrain
- barcarolle / barcarole = a boating song sung by Venetian gondoliers
- ditty = a short simple song
- coronach / threnody / requiem / lament / dirge = a song or hymn of mourning composed or performed as a memorial to a dead person
- drinking song = a song celebrating the joys of drinking
- folk ballad / folk song / folksong = a song that is traditionally sung by the common people of a region and forms part of their culture
- lied = a German art song of the 19th century for voice and piano
- love song / love-song = a song about love or expressing love for another person
- cradlesong / berceuse / lullaby = a quiet song intended to lull a child to sleep
- golden oldie / oldie = a song that was formerly popular
- partsong = a song with two or more voice parts
- prothalamion / prothalamium = a song in celebration of a marriage
- roundelay = a song in which a line or phrase is repeated as the refrain
- banquet song / scolion = a song (sometimes improvised) sung by guests at a banquet
- serenade = a song characteristically played outside the house of a woman
- torch song = a popular song concerned with disappointment in love
- work song = a usually rhythmical song to accompany repetitious work
Alternative definition of the noun vocal
- [phonetics] A vocal sound; specifically, a purely vocal element of speech, unmodified except by resonance; a vowel or a diphthong; a tonic element; a tonic; -- distinguished from a 'subvocal', and a 'nonvocal'
- [context: Roman Catholic Church] A man who has a right to vote in certain elections.
Definition of the adjective vocal
What does vocal mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more vocal / most vocal
- relating to or designed for or using the singing voice
- having or using the power to produce speech or sound
- examples: vocal organs | all vocal beings hymned their praise
- lexical domain: Relational Adjectives (pertainyms)
- given to expressing yourself freely or insistently
- full of the sound of voices
- example: a playground vocal with the shouts and laughter of children
- similar: loud
Alternative definition of the adjective vocal
- Of or pertaining to the voice or speech; having voice; endowed with utterance; full of voice, or voices
- Uttered or modulated by the voice; oral; as, 'vocal' melody; 'vocal' prayer, 'vocal' worship.
- Of or pertaining to a vowel or voice sound; also, spoken with tone, intonation, and resonance; sonant; sonorous; -- said of certain articulate sounds
- [phonetics] Consisting of, or characterized by, voice, or tone produced in the larynx, which may be modified, either by resonance, as in the case of the vowels, or by obstructive action, as in certain consonants, such as v, l, etc., or by both, as in the nasals m, n, ng; sonant; intonated; voiced. See voice, and vowel
- [phonetics] Of or pertaining to a vowel; having the character of a vowel; vowel
- loud; getting oneself heard.
Vocal a.k.a. Human voice: The voice consists of sound made by a human being using the vocal folds for talking, reading, singing, laughing, crying, screaming etc. The human voice is specifically a part of human sound production in which the vocal folds are the primary sound source. Generally speaking, the mechanism for generating the human voice can be subdivided into three parts; the lungs, the vocal folds within the larynx, and the articulators. The lung must produce adequate airflow and air pressure to vibrate vocal folds. The vocal folds are a vibrating valve that chops up the airflow from the lungs into audible pulses that form the laryngeal sound source. The muscles of the larynx adjust the length and tension of the vocal folds to ‘fine tune’ pitch and tone. The articulators articulate and filter the sound emanating from the larynx and to some degree can interact with the laryngeal airflow to strengthen it or weaken it as a sound source.
- read more about Human voice
- "Vocal" is the second single from the Pet Shop Boys album Electric, released on 3 June 2013.
- "Vocal" is a musical album of Pet Shop Boys.
- released on
- "VOCAL" is a musical album of Falcom Sound Team j.d.k..
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Vocal" is a musical album of Rashid Khan.
- released in (21 years ago)
- "Vocal" is a musical album of Rashid Khan.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Vocal" is a musical album of Aslam Hussain Khan.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Vocal" is a musical album of Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer.
- released in (21 years ago)
- "Vocal" is a musical EP of Heinrich at Hart.
- released in (18 years ago)
Who is Vocal?
VOCAL a.k.a. Masumi Ohno is a musician.
- read more about Masumi Ohno
- vocal a.k.a. Vocals: The musical performance role that the profession, "Singer" will usually provide to a band or ensemble. Vocals, as the name implies, is a singing role. A Singer who has a Vocals role, may also play the part of an instrument, but not always. The Vocals role in a band is sometimes further subdivided to either Lead vocals or Backing vocals, but is sometimes not always narrowly specified as such.
- read more about Vocals
- Vocal: Inclined to express oneself; giving forth sound with or as with a voice.
- Vocal is a musical performance role.
Phrases with Vocal
Phrases starting with the word Vocal:
Phrase ending with the word Vocal:
Other phrases containing the word Vocal:
- true vocal cord
- true vocal fold
- false vocal cord
- false vocal fold
- inferior vocal cord
- inferior vocal fold
- superior vocal cord
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Vocal
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Complete Encyclopaedia of Music, Elementary, Technical, Historical, Biographical, Vocal, and Instrumental (1854)
by John Weeks Moore
is naturally the first letter, because it represents the first vocal sound naturally formed by the human organs ; being the sound uttered with the mere opening of the mouth, without constraint, and ...
by Thomas Sheridan
The particle with is sometimes aspirated, sometimes vocal ; aspirated before a consonant, vocal before a vowel; as withfand, without. And the same is to be observed when it is not compounded, but in its detached state; as, with many more, ...
by Colin Larkin
They were also the first South African group, vocal or instrumental, to achieve any significant international profile. Signed by leading South African label Gallo in 1948, the Manhattan Brothers were marketed as the home-grown answer to ...
Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing and Health Professions - Australian & New Zealand Edition (2014)
by Peter Harris, Sue Nagy, Nicholas Vardaxis
vocal apparatus /vkl/, vocalis, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Vocal
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Vocal
Click on an item to view that photo:
New Years party
Photo credit: Infrogmation
- Vocal Constructivists
performing at Senate House Library
Photo credit: celesteh
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Vocal
Click on an item to play that video:
- Don't Get Lost in Vocal Terminology
Dane Chalfin is a leading industry vocal coach and voice rehabilitation specialist. He demonstrates how singers can maintain their vocal connection to their ...
- Vocal Terminology - What Singers Need to Know!
Vocal terminology can be difficult for singers to grasp. There's the scientific anatomical terms, traditional expressions of vocal concepts and some teachers even ...
- Singing Lessons: Singingbelt Vocal Warm-Up: Breathing Exercise, Placement and Position Explanation
Learn to sing better with the vocal warm-ups and breathing exercises of the Singingbelt System. Singing begins and ends with the breath. This video: breath ...
- Beginning Vocal Exercise with Explanation - Ear Training - Sight Reading Preparation - Major Scale
To skip the explanation go here -...
- Intermediate Belt Vocal Exercise With Explanation
Get ready to belt your face off! This is a great exercise for intermediate singers who are looking to strengthen their belt. REMEMBER TO WARM UP IN YOUR ...
- MFC - Vocal Explanation
in response to some requests for more info on the microbial fuel cell in this video...
- DeeJayOne - THE MEANING ( Danny Claire Vocal Edit )
DeeJayOne - THE MEANING ( Danny Claire Vocal Edit ) Facebook...
- October Update - Explanation, Vocal Ranges, Itinerary
Update for the month of October.
- Vocal Technique & Voice Training : Terminology Relating to Vowels & Larynx Movement
Learn how to best describe moving the larynx position with various vowel pronunciations with singing and vocal training tips in this free online vocal coaching ...
- Begining Vocal Exercise #1 Lip Roll - No Explanation - Free Online Voice Lessons
- Vocal Technique & Voice Training : Explanation of Voice Options
- National Anthem of Zambia (Vocal in regional dialect)
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE ZAMBIA NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM, CHAMPIONS OF CAN 2012 ;-) \o/ Here the national anthem of Zambia vocal in regional ...
- Vocal Meaning
Video shows what vocal means. Of or pertaining to the voice or speech; having voice; endowed with utterance; full of voice, or voices. Uttered or modulated by ...
- Ian William Craig - Before Meaning Comes | On the Reach of Explanations (Vocal Version)
2013 - A Forgetting Place.
- Vocal DubStep Ashes and Dialect Burning Original Dubstep Mix
- Beginning Vocal Exercise #1- Lip Rolls - With Explanation w/Molly Mahoney
- Nashville Singing Lessons from Dave Brooks: The Definition of "Legitimate" Vocal Tone
Nashville singing coach Dave Brooks from...
- Lower Definition - A PENDING DUI/GTL Vocal Cover
- Lower Definition - To Satellite vocal cover
Vocals by Cam Allen.
- Long Version - Vocal Sympathetic Resonance system with explanation
One type of Vocal Sympathetic Resonance system with explanation...
- Body Language and Vocal Power Tips from Kathy McAfee
Professional speaker Kathy McAfee shares her insights the importance of practicing vocal power and body language intelligence when communicating, ...
- Porter Robinson - Language (PAZ Vocal Remix)
Download this song free...
- Vocal Exercises for Language Learning
Vocal exercises for language learning to help your students improve their diction and pronunciation. They will make your lessons engaging and make you into ...
- NLP Language Patterns Use Your Vocal Power to Create Credibility
- Sennheiser e945 Supercardioid Dynamic Stage Vocal Mic Overview | Full Compass Description:
Get it here...
- Dramatic and Heroic Voices: Vocal Terms Dictionary by Franco Tenelli
What is true dramatic voice on Opera stage? Dramatic vs Heroic voice. Verdi on Tamagno's voice. Why Verdi wanted to rename his Masterpiece "Otello" ?
- ESL Lesson: Animals Quiz featuring Vocal Zoo Iphone App
- Tessitura : Vocal Terms Dictionary by Franco Tenelli
Tessitura vs Range.
- Power Up Your Communication: vocal power and body language intelligence for professionals
- Chiaro-Scuro: Vocal Terms Dictionary by Franco Tenelli
How does voice projection work? Falsetto voice vs fully supported voice. Can falsetto voice be brought to "Chiaro Scuro" voice?
Sign language + Vocal
Quotes about Vocal
In the Muslim world, there are many people who have been vocal and we have been very vocal against extremists. But how to win this battle is an ongoing battle. And we must continue to wage the battle for peace. (Feisal Abdul Rauf)
more quotes about vocal...
Scrabble value of V4O1C3A1L1
The value of this 5-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of VOCAL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Vocal!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Vocal to see it in context!