On this page:
Definition of the noun volte-face
What does volte-face mean as a name of something?
- a major change in attitude or principle or point of view
"Volte-face" a.k.a. "Face/Off" is a 1997 American science fiction action thriller film directed by John Woo and starring John Travolta and Nicolas Cage. Travolta is an FBI agent and Cage is a terrorist, sworn enemies who assume the physical appearances of each other. The film exemplifies Woo's signature gun fu and heroic bloodshed action sequences, and has Travolta and Cage each playing two personalities, making both actors the protagonists and antagonists at the same time. It was the first Hollywood film in which Woo was given complete creative control and was acclaimed by both audiences and critics. Eventually grossing $245 million worldwide, Face/Off was a financial success, and has since become a cult classic.
- also known as Без лица, Лице назаем, Contracara, Adistakta/Prosopa, Im Körper des Feindes, A Outra Face, Ál/Arc, Face Off, Double identité, Yüzyüze, Covjek bez lica, Kahe/Võitlus, Face/off - kahdet kasvot, Face/Off - Due facce di un assassino, Cara a cara (Face/Off), Contra/Cara, Fata in fata, Bez twarzy, Volte/face, Brez obraza
- country: United States of America
- languages: English Language, Latin Language
- producers: Barrie M. Osborne, Terence Chang, Christopher Godsick & David Permut
- executive producers: Michael Douglas, Jonathan D. Krane, Steven Reuther
- production design by Neil Spisak
- art direction by Steve Arnold
- written by Michael Colleary & Mike Werb
- John Travolta as Sean Archer
- Nicolas Cage as Castor Troy
- Joan Allen as Dr. Eve Archer
- Alessandro Nivola as Pollux Troy
- Gina Gershon as Sasha Hassler
- Dominique Swain as Jamie Archer
- Nick Cassavetes as Dietrich Hassler
- Harve Presnell as Victor Lazarro
- Colm Feore as Dr. Malcolm Walsh
- John Carroll Lynch as Walton
- C. C. H. Pounder as Dr. Holllis Miller
- Robert Wisdom as Tito Biondi
- Myles Jeffrey as Michael Archer
- Thomas Jane as Burke Hicks
- Tommy Flanagan as Leo
- Matt Ross as Loomis
- Danny Masterson as Karl
- Lisa Boyle as Cindee
- Margaret Cho as Wanda
- James Denton as Buzz
- Kirk Baltz as Aldo
- Chris Bauer as Ivan Dubov
- Nicolas Cage as Sean Archer
- casting by Mindy Marin
- cinematography by Oliver Wood
- edited by Steven Kemper & Christian Wagner
- music by John Powell
- costume design by Ellen Mirojnick
- set decoration by Garrett Lewis
- location: Los Angeles
- genres: Thriller, Action Film, Crime Fiction, Science Fiction
- subjects: Tragedy, Terrorism
- It's like looking in a mirror - only not
- To destroy your enemy, you must find him, face him, and then... become him.
- In order to catch him, he must become him.
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (17 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- MTV Movie Award for Best Action Sequence (Speedboat Chase) nomination for John Woo
- MTV Movie Award for Best Male Performance nomination for Nicolas Cage
- MTV Movie Award for Best Male Performance nomination for John Travolta
- MTV Movie Award for Best Movie
- MTV Movie Award for Best On-Screen Duo nomination for John Travolta & Nicolas Cage
- MTV Movie Award for Best Villain nomination for John Travolta & Nicolas Cage
- Blockbuster Entertainment Award for Favorite Actor - Action/Adventure (Tied with Con Air (1997).) nomination for Nicolas Cage
- MTV Movie Award for Best Action Sequence, received by John Woo
- MTV Movie Award for Best On-Screen Duo, received by John Travolta & Nicolas Cage
- Blockbuster Entertainment Award for Favorite Actor - Action/Adventure (Tied with Con Air (1997).), received by Nicolas Cage
- Saturn Award for Best Director, received by John Woo
- "Volte-Face" is a composition.
- music by Uwe Schmidt
- "Volte-face" is a musical album of Pierre Rapsat.
- released on (17 years ago)
Volte-face is a total change of position, as in policy or opinion; an about-face.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Volte-face
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Ph. D Newmark
volte-face. About face [F] volti. Turn over [It] voluntas. Volition; will; intention [L] Voluntas reputatur pro facto. The intention is to be taken for the deed [L] vomitoria. Exits of large ...
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
reversal, rotation, unsettle 9 about-face, deviation, oscillate, pirouette, rechannel, refashion, repudiate, reversion, sidetrack, translate, transpose, variation, volte-face 10 alteration, apostatize, change into, circumduct, deflection, double back, ...
by Maurice Waite
volte-face. vocational adj. relating to a particular occupation and its skills or knowledge. vocationally adv. vocative /vok-uh-tiv/ n. Grammar the case used in addressing a person or thing. – origin Latin vocativus. vociferous /vuh-sif-uh- ruhss/ adj.
Bibliophile's Dictionary (2005)
by Miles Westley
Lovecraffs The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories volte-face (VOLT FAHS, also VOL tuh FAHS) - n. a reversal of attitude, opinion or policy, 2. an about-face; physically turning to face the opposite direction.
by Oxford University Press
carse, Class, Coup de grâce, farce, glass, grass, Grasse, impasse, Kars, kick- ass, kvass, Laplace, Maas, Madras, outclass, pass, sparse, stained glass, surpass, upper Class, volte-face . badass .lardass .sandglass . eyeglass, spyglass . wine ...
by Sidney L. Landau
volte-face, backing out, backing aboveboard absolution down, recantation, shift , turnabout, switch. aboveboard adj. honest,
by Daniel Jones, Beverley Collins, Inger M. Mees
voltameter, -s vol't<emito*, -z volte Volti volte-face Voltfœs [Voltifa:s] volubility 4volju'hiliti volubjle, -ly, -leness Voljub|l, -li, -Inis volume, -s Voljum [ lju( 0m, ...
by Abel Boyer
volte-face, f.' ou l'action de faire volte-face. To wheeze, v. n harler comme une personne enrouée. Whéézing, s manière de parler comme une stersonne enrouée, voix rauque ou enrouée. Whelp, s. un petit chien de lait ...
by Oxford Dictionaries,
vixen | volte-face voice-over a piece of speech in a film or broadcast that is spoken by a person who is not seen on the screen. 2voiceless adjective. voicemail noun an electronic system which can store messages from ...
by Houghton Mifflin Company, Webster
volte-face volt- fas', ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Volte-face
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about Volte-face
Video shows what volte-face means. a reversal of policy, attitude or principle. volte-face synonyms: about-face, U-turn. Volte-face Meaning. How to pronounce ...
Quotes about Volte-face
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'volte-face"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine