Wad appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Jack, love my big wad of sphinx quartz! (30 letters)
Wad appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- To lay a wad, epees seeped away a lot.
- Deb, bury a herb if I had a wad a hi-fibre hay rubbed.
- Dawn warp sets a Thai’s semen off: one messiah tastes prawn wad.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun wad:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun wad
- Definition of the verb wad
- Other definitions of wad
- Phrases with Wad
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Wad
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Wad
- Usage statistics about wad
- Photos about Wad
- Video language resources about Wad
- Quotes about Wad
- Scrabble value of W4A1D2
- Anagrams of WAD
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun wad
What does wad mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: wads
- a small mass of soft material
- (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent
- example: a wad of money
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonyms of wad: batch / deal / flock / good deal / great deal / hatful / heap / lot / mass / mess / mickle / mint / mountain / muckle / passel / peck / pile / plenty / pot / quite a little / raft / sight / slew / spate / stack / tidy sum
- more generic terms: large indefinite amount / large indefinite quantity = an indefinite quantity that is above the average in size or magnitude
- more specific words:
- a wad of something chewable as tobacco
Alternative definition of the noun wad
- An amorphous, compact mass.
- A substantial pile (normally of money).
- A soft plug or seal, particularly as used between the powder and pellets in a shotgun cartridge.
- [vulgar, slang] an ejaculate of semen.
- [mineralogy] Any black manganese oxide or hydroxide mineral rich rock in the oxidized zone of various ore deposits
Definition of the verb wad
What does wad mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: wadded, wadding
- compress into a wad
- example: wad paper into the box
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Material] I kneaded the dough [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Material] into [Product] I kneaded the dough into a loaf [Material] [Verb] into [Product] The dough twirled into a pretzel
Verbs of Creation and Transformation (with the same syntax): beat, bend, coil, collect, compress, contort, curve, distort, fold, freeze, knead, melt, shake, squash, squeeze, squish, twirl, twist, whip, wind, work.
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of wad: bundle / compact / pack
- more generic terms: arrange / set up = put into a proper or systematic order
- more specific word: puddle = work a wet mixture, such as concrete or mud
- crowd or pack to capacity
Other definitions of wad
What does wad also mean?
- [context: computing, humorous] It works as designed.
Who is Wad?
Wad a.k.a. C. H. Waddington: Conrad Hal Waddington CBE FRS FRSE was a British developmental biologist, paleontologist, geneticist, embryologist and philosopher who laid the foundations for systems biology. He had wide interests that included poetry and painting, as well as left-wing political leanings. In his book The Scientific Attitude, he touched on political topics such as central planning and praised marxism as a "profound scientific philosophy".
- read more about C. H. Waddington (philosopher)
"Wad" is a film.
- Wad is an old mining term for any black manganese oxide or hydroxide mineral-rich rock in the oxidized zone of various ore deposits. Typically closely associated with various iron oxides. Specific mineral varieties include pyrolusite, lithiophorite, nsutite, takanelite and vernadite. Wad can be considered to be the manganese equivalent to the iron mineraloid limonite.
- wad a.k.a. World Art Day is an international celebration of the fine arts which was declared by the International Association of Art in order to promote awareness of creative activity worldwide. It is celebrated on the 15th of April.
- read more about World Art Day
- Wad a.k.a. Wandamen Language: Wandamen is an Austronesian language of Indonesian New Guinea, spoken across the neck of the Doberai Peninsula.
- also known as Wamesa, Wandamen-windesi, Bentoeni, Bentuni, Windesi, Bintuni, Windessi
- Wad is a file format.
Phrases with Wad
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Wad
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Todd Woodard
The base wad is a cylindrical component that is assembled into the head end of a shotshell. A card wad is a thin card-like disc placed over a shot load or powder. A cup wad is a powder...
Nitro wad is an unlubricated, overpowder wad made of cardboard or felt.
The top wad is the closure disc over the top of the shot column held in place by a rolled crimp. Web: The solid portion of ...
by CTI Reviews
The mobile wad is a group of the following three muscles found in the posterior compartment of the forearm: It is also sometimes known as the 'lateral compartment' or 'radial group' of the forearm. The palmaris longus is seen as a small tendon ...
A Century of Spies (1997)
Intelligence in the Twentieth Century by Jeffery T. Richelson
WAD is the acronym for Wazarat-e-Amniyat-e-Daulati. It was known as the Worker's Intelligence Establishment (KAM) when it was established in 1979. Subsequently, WAD became KHAD, Khidmat-Ittelaat-e-Dauli (Government Information ...
by Paul N. Hasluck
The wad is a piece of wadding enclosed in a soft, fluffless rag, the whole forming a pointed rubber, which is held as in Fig. 226. When the surface has been brushed quite clean, apply polish wherever possible, then rub in a little thin varnish, ...
Wad is a dark, soft, earthy mineral and is an indefinite mixture of manganese oxides with water and other impurities such as clay and oxides of barium and iron . It is generally a dry, loosely coherent brown or brownish-black powder, not sharply ...
Reloading for Shotgunners (2005)
by Rick Sapp
With straight-walled hulls, the base wad is a separate part. The tapered wall of compression-formed hulls creates a unique condition. It is wonderful for lighter loads but difficult for a condition of loading buckshot called “stacking.” Stacking is the ...
by Thomas Edward Thorpe
them, the proper quantity of copper is added, Wad is an important earthy variety proand the mixture strongly ...
Mining and Engineering World (1905)
Wad is an overflow or secondary deposit of manganese MNO, or black oxide. The silver ores are sulphide and associated with specular iron. The gold values are found in all the principal ores of the district, being associated with sulphides ...
by Daniel Jones, Peter Roach, James Hartman
da © wu:'ku:n- Wal wol, wad ® wa:l Walachi|awol'ei.ki .a, wa'lei-...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Wad
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about wad
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun wad:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb wad:
Photos about Wad
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Wad
Click on an item to play that video:
- WAD Meaning
Video shows what WAD means. It works as designed.. WAD Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say WAD. Powered by MaryTTS ...
- Spit wad Meaning
Video shows what spit wad means. A spitball (2). A wad (1) of spittle which has been spat by someone. Spit wad Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Aaron's big three ohhhh excerpt #2 The definition of WAD
- Glaymim Wad Noun
Uploded By Aljamal Tv.
- WAD MAG / DICTIONARY ISSUE
- WAD : PHP Loop ( Khmer Language)
Quotes about Wad
He that has meikle wad aye hae mair.
more quotes about wad...
Scrabble value of W4A1D2
The value of this 3-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of WAD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Wad!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Wad to see it in context!