Wader appears in the following tongue twister:
- Very rare vagrant wader
(a "vagrant wader" is a wading bird that is not typical to a particular region)
Wader appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- Did no contra’s namer of a stiff ode portray a wader ultra-reliably? Rebel, a hero maybe? No, done by a more hale beryl bailer (art lured away, art roped off): it’s a foreman’s art no con did.
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun wader
What does wader mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: waders
- any of many long-legged birds that wade in water in search of food
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of wader: wading bird
- more generic term: aquatic bird = wading and swimming and diving birds of either fresh or salt water
- more specific terms:
- stork = large mostly Old World wading birds typically having white-and-black plumage
- Balaeniceps rex / shoebill / shoebird = large stork-like bird of the valley of the White Nile with a broad bill suggesting a wooden shoe
- ibis = wading birds of warm regions having long slender down-curved bills
- spoonbill = wading birds having a long flat bill with a tip like a spoon
- flamingo = large pink to scarlet web-footed wading bird with down-bent bill
- heron = grey or white wading bird with long neck and long legs and (usually) long bill
- crane = large long-necked wading bird of marshes and plains in many parts of the world
- Aramus guarauna / courlan = wading bird of South America and Central America
- Aramus pictus / limpkin = wading bird of Florida, Cuba and Jamaica having a drooping bill and a distinctive wailing call
- Cariama cristata / crested cariama / seriema = Brazilian Cariama
- Chunga burmeisteri / seriema / chunga = Argentinian Cariama
- rail = any of numerous widely distributed small wading birds of the family Rallidae having short wings and very long toes for running on soft mud
- bustard = large heavy-bodied chiefly terrestrial game bird capable of powerful swift flight
- bustard quail / button quail / button-quail / hemipode = small quail-like terrestrial bird of southern Eurasia and northern Africa that lacks a hind toe
- ortygan = any of several East Indian birds
- Pedionomus torquatus / plain wanderer = small Australian bird related to the button quail
- trumpeter = large gregarious crane-like bird of the forests of South America having glossy black plumage and a loud prolonged cry
- limicoline bird / shore bird / shorebird = any of numerous wading birds that frequent mostly seashores and estuaries
Alternative definition of the noun wader
- One who wades.
- [chiefly plural] A waterproof boot that comes up to the hip, used by fishermen, etc.
- A long-legged bird associated with wetland or coastal environments.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for wader
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Wild Coast (2015)
An exploration of the places where land meets sea by Marianne Taylor
The commonest small estuary wader is the Dunlin. When it is in summer plumage , its black belly-patch is diagnostic. Knot (Calidris canutus) The most impressive formation-flying wader flocks you can see around Britain are flocks of Knots, and ...
Fly Fishing (1988)
Learn from a Master by Bill Mason, Bill Eppridge, Dick Leyden
Wading Shoes Placed over the stockingfoot wader is a wading shoe, which today comes in a variety of styles and materials designed to give you support for walking. Years ago most wading shoes were made of leather, but today many are ...
by Denise Sutherland
White wader is the definition. Has no initial is the deletion indicator, telling you to remove the initial (or first) letter from another word for remorse (REGRET). 13. Has no entrance is the deletion indicator in this clue. So you need to remove the ...
The Rough Guide to Menorca (2001)
by Phil Lee
heron-like wader is a regular winter visitor to the larger Balearic marshes. In winter, it is white, but is distinguished from the Little Egret by its stubby all-yellow bill and stockier gait. Night Heron Nycticorax nycticorax (spring and ...
by Sergeĭ Timofeevich Aksakov, Kevin Windle
Garshnep; Lymnocryptes minimus There is no doubting the fact that this small wader is a member of the noble family of snipe. The Germans call it Haar- schnepfe, which is to say "hairy snipe," on account of the long hackles of its upper neck ...
A Summer of British Wildlife (2016)
by James Lowen
A more recognisable wader is the whimbrel. Its familiarity is slightly deceptive, however, because it stems from resemblance to the better-known curlew. Both are long-legged brown birds with a long, decurved bill, but only the whimbrel ...
Intended to Exhibit: I. The Origin and the Affinities of Every English Word ... II. The Orthography and the Pronunciation of Words ... III. Accurate and Discriminating Definitions of Technical and Scientific Terms ... To which are Prefixed an Introductory Dissertation on the Origin, History, and Connection of the Languages of Western Asia and of Europe and a Concise Grammar, Philosophical and Practical, of the English Language by Noah Webster
wader is a ram.] A ram castrated. WETNESS, n. The state of being wet, either by being soaked or filled with liquor, or by having a liquid adherent to the surface; as, the wetness of land; the wetness of a cloth. It implies more water or liquid ...
Country Life (1905)
main and original home of many of these Sidmouth chalcedones and pebbles Another common wader is the strange. and lovely pheasant- is at the far side of the great ...
by Paul A. Rees
See also BIOLOGICAL FILTRATION, LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM, MECHANICAL FILTRATION, WATER CONDITIONER waterbird See WADER, WATERFOWL, WILDFOWL waterer See DRINKER waterfowl 1. A term sometimes used to mean ...
by Michael Allaby, Chris Park
wader (wading bird) A general term for long‐legged birds that wade in water in search of food and *overwinter in the *intertidal zone in *estuaries. wadi An * ephemeral river channel in a *desert area, that contains water only immediately after a ...
Dictionary of Homonyms (2007)
by David Rothwell
wader Anything that wades through water or ...
GUADER or WADER, RALPH, Eakl of Norfolk (fl. 1070), was son of Ralph the Staller (d. 1060) . This Ralph is frequently referred to in Domesday Book as having held various estates, ...
by Joseph Bosworth
—wader,-weder Bad weather, stormy weather.— -wammed Unstained, pure. —war Unaware, unwary, uneaspected. — w8%rlic Unwary.—w8°rlice Unwarily. —warscype, es; m.
footmark footwear Footwearincludes: 03 dap,tie 04 boot,clog, geta, mule,pump, shoe,vibs 05 jelly, sabot, tacky, thong, wader, welly 06bootee,brogue, casual, galosh, laceup, loafer, Oxford, patten, sandal, slipon, thongs 07gumboot,slipper, ...
Volume 8: Environment by Martin Melosi
Migratory birds such as the tundra swan and snow and Canada geese provide highlights for birders, as do the year-round wader and shorebird populations. The Lower Rio Grande Valley in Texas and the upper Texas Gulf Coast are two other ...
by Vin T. Sparano
A wader belt is literally a lifesaver in streams and rivers. If you fall, the belt will trap air in your waders and give you bouyancy. ANGLE UPSTREAM BAITCASTING Baitcasting is a method of fishing distinguished by the. 284 PART 3: FISHING ...
The rhymers' lexicon (1971)
by Andrew Loring, George Saintsbury
aider arquebusader barricader blockader braider Crusader degrader dissuader evader free-trader gasconader grader invader nadir over- persuader parader promenader raider serenader trader unbraider upbraider Wader Hades ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for wader
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about wader
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about wader
Video shows what wader means. One who wades.. A waterproof boot that comes up to the hip, used by fishermen, etc.. A long-legged bird associated with ...
See also the pronunciation examples of wader!
Scrabble value of W4A1D2E1R1
The value of this 5-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of WADER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of wader!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of wader to find many related words and phrases!