On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb wear away
What does wear away mean as a doing phrase?
- cut away in small pieces
- diminish, as by friction
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of wear away: wear off
- more generic terms: remove / take / take away / withdraw = remove something concrete, as by lifting, pushing, or taking off, or remove something abstract
- more specific terms: rub down / corrade / rub off / abrade / abrase = wear away
- become ground down or deteriorate
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] at [Source] Brian wiped at the counter [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Source] Brian wiped the counter | Carla shoveled the walk [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] Barry Cryer erased the writing [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] from / out / out of / off / off of [Source] Brian wiped the fingerprints from the counter | Carla shoveled the snow from the walk | Doug removed the smudges from the tabletop
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of wear away: eat at / erode / gnaw / gnaw at
- more generic words: crumble / decay / dilapidate = fall into decay or ruin
Alternative definition of the verb wear away
- to erode gradually and progressively
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for wear away
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Mosby's Dental Dictionary (2013)
by Elsevier, Mosby
v to wear away by friction. abrasion (əbrā′zhən), n 1. the abnormal wearing away of a substance ...
A Dictionary of English Synonymes and Synonymous Or Parallel Expressions Designed as a Practical Guide to Aptness and Variety of Phraseology (1891)
by Richard Soule
waste, consume by use, use up, wear away, wear out. 5. Impair, waste, diminish, consume gradually, spend, cause to disappear. 6. Cause by friction, occasion by wasting. 7. Affect by degrees, bring about gradually. a. (Naut. ) ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for wear away
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about wear away
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb wear away:
Photos about wear away
Click on an item to view that photo:
Stones wear away
Photo credit: Alexander Synaptic
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about wear away
Wear away Meaning
Video shows what wear away means. to erode gradually and progressively. Wear away Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
See also the pronunciation examples of wear away!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of wear away to see it in context!