The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun weed:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun weed
- Definition of the verb weed
- Phrases with Weed
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Weed
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Weed
- Photos about Weed
- Videos about Weed
- Quotes about Weed
- Scrabble value of W4E1E1D2
- Anagrams of WEED
- Share this page
Weed is sometimes a misspelling of we.
The word weed is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun weed
What does weed mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: weeds
- any plant that crowds out cultivated plants
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- antonym: cultivated plant
- more generic terms: tracheophyte / vascular plant = green plant having a vascular system: ferns, gymnosperms, angiosperms
- more specific terms:
- Agrostemma githago / crown-of-the-field / corn campion / corn cockle = European annual having large trumpet-shaped reddish-purple flowers and poisonous seed; a common weed in grainfields and beside roadways
- Scleranthus annuus / knawel / knawe = widely distributed low-growing Eurasian herb having narrow leaves and inconspicuous green flowers
- Spergula arvensis / corn spurrey / corn spurry = small European weed with whorled leaves and white flowers
- Spergularia rubra / sand spurry / sea spurry = prostrate weedy herb with tiny pink flowers; widespread throughout Europe and Asia on sand dunes and heath and coastal cliffs
- Molluga verticillata / Indian chickweed / carpetweed = annual prostrate mat-forming weed having whorled leaves and small greenish-white flowers
- Alternanthera philoxeroides / alligator grass / alligator weed = prolific South American aquatic weed having grasslike leaves and short spikes of white flowers
- Sisymbrium barbarea / Barbarea vulgaris / yellow rocket / rocket cress / rockcress = noxious cress with yellow flowers
- Erysimum cheiranthoides / wormseed mustard = slender yellow-flowered European mustard often troublesome as a weed
- Raphanus raphanistrum / jointed charlock / wild radish / wild rape / runch = Eurasian weed having yellow or mauve or white flowers and podlike fruits
- pennycress = any of several plants of the genus Thlaspi
- bitterweed / ambrosia / ragweed = any of numerous chiefly North American weedy plants constituting the genus Ambrosia that produce highly allergenic pollen responsible for much hay fever and asthma
- thistle = any of numerous plants of the family Compositae and especially of the genera Carduus and Cirsium and Onopordum having prickly-edged leaves
- Centaurea solstitialis / yellow star-thistle / Barnaby's thistle = European weed having a winged stem and hairy leaves
- Erigeron canadensis / Canadian fleabane / Conyza canadensis / horseweed / fleabane = common North American weed with linear leaves and small discoid heads of yellowish flowers; widely naturalized throughout temperate regions
- Erechtites hieracifolia / fireweed = an American weedy plant with small white or greenish flowers
- Hieracium praealtum / yellow hawkweed / king devil = European hawkweed introduced into northeastern United States
- California dandelion / Hypochaeris radicata / cat's-ear / capeweed / gosmore = European weed widely naturalized in North America having yellow flower heads and leaves resembling a cat's ears
- Parthenium hysterophorus / bastard feverfew = tropical American annual weed with small radiate heads of white flowers
- bristly oxtongue / Picris echioides / bitterweed / oxtongue / bugloss = widespread European weed with spiny tongue-shaped leaves and yellow flowers
- Hieracium aurantiacum / Pilosella aurantiaca / orange hawkweed = European hawkweed having flower heads with bright orange-red rays; a troublesome weed especially as naturalized in northeastern North America
- threadleaf groundsel / Senecio doublasii = bluish-green bushy leafy plant covered with close white wool and bearing branched clusters of yellow flower heads; southwestern United States
- Senecio jacobaea / tansy ragwort / benweed / ragweed / ragwort = widespread European weed having yellow daisylike flowers
- Senecio vulgaris / groundsel = Eurasian weed with heads of small yellow flowers
- cockle-burr / cockle-bur / cockleburr / cocklebur = any coarse weed of the genus Xanthium having spiny burrs
- nettle = any of numerous plants having stinging hairs that cause skin irritation on contact
- tumbleweed = any plant that breaks away from its roots in autumn and is driven by the wind as a light rolling mass
- wild parsnip / madnep = biennial weed in Europe and America having large pinnate leaves and yellow flowers and a bitter and somewhat poisonous root
- a black band worn by a man (on the arm or hat) as a sign of mourning
- street names for marijuana
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of weed: dope / gage / grass / green goddess / locoweed / Mary Jane / pot / sens / sess / skunk / smoke
- more generic words: cannabis / ganja / marihuana / marijuana = the most commonly used illicit drug; considered a soft drug, it consists of the dried leaves of the hemp plant
Alternative definition of the noun weed
- [countable] Any plant growing in cultivated ground to the injury of the crop or desired vegetation, or to the disfigurement of the place; an unsightly, useless, or injurious plant.
- [countable] A species of plant considered harmful to the environment or regarded as a nuisance.
- Short for duckweed
- [uncountable, slang] Marijuana.
- [obsolete, uncountable, slang] Tobacco.
- [obsolete, countable] A cigar.
- [obsolete, countable] A horse unfit to breed from.
- [countable, British, informal] A puny person; one who has with little physical strength.
- [countable, Scotland] A sudden illness or relapse, often attended with fever, which attacks women in childbed.
- [uncountable, archaic or obsolete] Underbrush; low shrubs.
- [countable, figuratively] Something unprofitable or troublesome; anything useless.
- [archaic] A garment or piece of clothing.
- [archaic] Clothing collectively; clothes, dress.
- [archaic] 'widow's weeds' Female mourning apparel
Definition of the verb weed
What does weed mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: weed
- clear of weeds
- example: weed the garden
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being] [Verb] [Source] The cook boned the fish Verbs of Removing: bark, beard, bone, burl, core, gill, gut, head, hull, husk, lint, louse, milk, peel, pinion, pip, pit, pith, pod, poll, pulp, rind, scale, scalp, seed, shell, shuck, skin, snail, stalk, stem, stone, string, tail, tassel, vein, wind, worm, zest [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Source] Brian wiped the counter | Carla shoveled the walk Verbs of Removing: buff, distill, expunge, expurgate, flush, leach, polish, purge, shave, skim, smooth, soak, strain, trim, unload, whisk, winnow, wring [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] Barry Cryer erased the writing [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Theme] from / out / out of / off / off of [Source] Brian wiped the fingerprints from the counter | Carla shoveled the snow from the walk | Doug removed the smudges from the tabletop
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- more generic terms: remove / take / take away / withdraw = remove something concrete, as by lifting, pushing, or taking off, or remove something abstract
- more specific word: stub = clear of weeds by uprooting them
Alternative definition of the verb weed
- To remove unwanted vegetation from a cultivated area.
- past of wee
- Weed is a city located in Siskiyou County, California, United States. As of the 2010 Census, the town had a total population of 2,967, down from 2,979 in 2000. There are several unincorporated communities adjacent to, or just outside Weed proper. These include Edgewood, Carrick, and Lake Shastina. These communities generally have mailing addresses that use Weed, or its ZIP code. The total population of this area in 2007 was 6,318. Weed is about 10 miles west-northwest of Mount Shasta, a prominent northern California landmark, and the second-tallest volcano in the Cascade Range.
- Weed a.k.a. Weed, New Mexico: Weed is a census-designated place in Otero County in southern New Mexico, USA. It lies alongside New Mexico State Road 24 on the eastern slopes of the Sacramento Mountains at an elevation of 7,047 ft. It has had a Post Office since 1885. As of the 2010 census, its population was 63.
- read more about Weed, New Mexico
- Weed a.k.a. Weed, Arkansas: Weed is an unincorporated community in Poinsett County, Arkansas, United States. Weed is located on the north bank of the St. Francis River and the BNSF Railway near the northwest border of Marked Tree.
- read more about Weed, Arkansas
Phrases with Weed
Phrases starting with the word Weed:
Phrases ending with the word Weed:
- to weed
- Pig Weed
- ague weed
- Blue Weed
- Cape Weed
- dill weed
- Dove Weed
- Mint Weed
- Pond Weed
- Chafe Weed
- crazy weed
View more phrases with the word Weed in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Weed
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Fundamentals of Weed Science (2016)
by CTI Reviews
Weed is an every day term used in a variety of senses, usually to describe a plant considered undesirable within a certain context. The wordcommonly applied to unwanted plants in humancontrolled settings, such as farm fields, gardens, ...
Missouri School Journal (1917)
Jimson weed is a perennial which grows into a good sized bush with large spreading branches. It bearsapurplish white flower which develops into a large bur during the late sum~ mer and autumn. The Jimson weed is very fond of fertile soil.
Herbs, Remedies, and Practices That Restore the Body, Refresh the Mind, and Rebuild the Spirit by Porter Shimer
PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS Squaw weed is a small perennial, between one and two feet high, with an erect, smooth stem. Rounded leaves grow sparsely at the bottom section of the plant and feathery fernlike leaves grow from the top ...
Plant, Grow, and Harvest the Best Edibles - Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Utah & Wyoming by Diana Maranhao
By definition, “A weed is any unwanted plant.” Purely subjective on the part of the gardener. Granted, that opens the door to debate on native plants and self- sowing annuals that might take root in the garden and in other places where they ...
by Richard Lawrence Miller
Crazy Weed, Cripple, Crying Weed, Cryppie, Cryptonie, CS, Cube (tablet form), Culican, Dagga, Dawamesk, Dew, Diablito (with crack cocaine), Diambista, Dimba, ...
by Philip D. Morehead
black oil, Colombian gold, dagga, dank, ditch weed, doobie, dopestick, gage, gangster, ganja, grass, griffa, hay, herb, hooch, kif, killer weed, kind green, M, marahoochie, Mary Jane, Maui wowie, jay, joint, juju, killer weed, mezz, michoacán, ...
by Donald B. Robertson
Calvin, President IIQ city: San Francisco California Northeastern Railway Company Weed ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Weed
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Weed
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Sarah G...
Photo credit: fabbio
Photo credit: matsuyuki
Photo credit: ishane
Photo credit: Kevin Doncaster
Best viewed large.
Photo credit: MinivanNinja
- Wild Weed
Photo credit: upupandabear
- Yard weed
Photo credit: graftedno1
- Red weed
Weeds at Birmingham New Street Station
Photo credit: Phil_Parker
- Weed Oasis
The miracle of life. Life finds a way. Something has survived. Taken with iPod.
Photo credit: shoutabyss
- Downtown Weed
Photo credit: Tom Hilton
- Viney weed
Photo credit: charkesw
- Snow on weed
Photo credit: Pictures by Ann
- Sea weed in Little River
Photo credit: CasparGirl
- Weed Overlooking Mud Flat
Photo credit: chefranden
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Weed
Click on an item to play that video:
- Weed Meaning
Video shows what weed means. A plant. Any plant growing in cultivated ground to the injury of the crop or desired vegetation, or to the disfigurement of the place ...
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Weed killing services
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Weed clearance services
- Lawnjaws weed pulling description
Weed pulling, lawn, grasses, pliers, garden, flower garden,weedy, mower, crabgrass, plants, vines, landscape, roots, vegetables, vines.
See also the pronunciation examples of Weed!
Quotes about Weed
Scrabble value of W4E1E1D2
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine