The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the noun weekend:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun weekend
- Definition of the adjective weekend
- Definition of the verb weekend
- Phrases with Weekend
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Weekend
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Weekend
- Photos about Weekend
- Video language resources about Weekend
- Sign language
- Quotes about Weekend
- Scrabble value of W4E1E1K5E1N1D2
- Share this page
Weekend is sometimes a misspelling of weekends.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun weekend
What does weekend mean as a name of something?
Weekend is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: weekends
- a time period usually extending from Friday night through Sunday; more loosely defined as any period of successive days including one and only one Sunday
- lexical domain: Time - nouns denoting time and temporal relations
- more generic terms: period / period of time / time period = an amount of time
- part of: hebdomad / week = any period of seven consecutive days
Alternative definition of the noun weekend
- The break in the working week, usually two days including the traditional holy or sabbath day. Thus in western countries, Saturday and Sunday. Occasionally abbreviated to w/e.
Definition of the adjective weekend
What does weekend mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more weekend / most weekend
- Of, relating to or for the weekend.
- Occurring at the weekend.
Definition of the verb weekend
What does weekend mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: weekended | weekending | weekends
- spend the weekend
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Theme - being] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] My family always summered at the seashore
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- more generic words: pass / spend = use up a period of time in a specific way
- "Weekend" is a 1967 black comedy film written and directed by Jean-Luc Godard and starring Mireille Darc and Jean Yanne, both of whom were mainstream French TV stars. Jean-Pierre Léaud, iconic comic star of numerous French New Wave films including Truffaut's Les Quatre Cent Coups and Godard's earlier Masculin, féminin, also appears in two roles. Raoul Coutard served as cinematographer.
- also known as Week End, Le week-end
- countries: France, Italy
- language: French
- written by Jean-Luc Godard
- based on a story by Julio Cortázar
- Mireille Darc as Corinne Durand
- Jean Yanne as Roland Durand
- Juliet Berto as Une activiste du FLSO
- Jean-Pierre Kalfon as Le chef du Front de Libération de la Seine et Oise
- Valérie Lagrange as La femme du chef du FLSO
- Jean-Pierre Léaud
- Anne Wiazemsky
- Daniel Pommereulle
- Yves Afonso as Gros Poucet
- Blandine Jeanson as Emily Bronte
- Virginie Vignon
- Paul Gégauff as Le pianiste
- Yves Beneyton as Un membre du FLSO
- Michèle Breton as Girl in the woods
- Michel Cournot as Man From Farmyard
- Lex De Bruijn as Revolutionary
- Omar Diop as Mon frère africain
- Jean Eustache as L'auto-stoppeur
- Jean-Claude Guilbert as Le clochard
- Juliet Berto as La jeune bourgeoise accidentée
- cinematography by Raoul Coutard
- edited by Agnès Guillemot
- music by Antoine Duhamel
- genres: Comedy, Drama
- released on (47 years ago)
- award: - National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Film
- "Weekend" is a 2011 drama romance film written and directed by Andrew Haigh.
- also known as Savvatokyriako, Sofshavua, Week-end, Zupelnie inny weekend
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- producer: Tristan Goligher
- executive producers: Suzanne Alizart & Anna Seifert-Speck
- production design by Sarah Finlay
- written by Andrew Haigh
- Tom Cullen as Russell
- Chris New as Glen
- Jonathan Race as Jamie
- Laura Freeman as Jill
- Loreto Murray as Cathy
- Jonathan Wright as Johnny
- Sarah Churm as Helen
- Vauxhall Jermaine as Damien
- Joe Doherty as Justin
- Kieran Hardcastle as Sam
- Mark Devenport as Straight Man in Bar #1
- Steve Blackman as Straight Man in Bar #2
- Julius Metson Scott as Paul
- Martin Arrowsmith as Martin
- Caroline Woolley as House Party Girl #1
- Caroline Cawley as House Party Girl # 2
- casting by Kahleen Crawford
- cinematography by Urszula Pontikos
- edited by Andrew Haigh
- music by James Edward Barker
- location: Nottingham
- genres: Romance Film, Drama
- released on
- some of the awards:
- British Independent Film Award for Most Promising Newcomer nomination for Tom Cullen
- British Independent Film Award for Best Achievement in Production (sponsored by Deluxe 142)
- British Independent Film Award for Most Promising Newcomer, received by Tom Cullen
- British Independent Film Award for Best Achievement in Production (sponsored by Deluxe 142)
- GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Film – Limited Release
- official website: www.weekend-film.com
- "Weekend" is a 2011 action comedy film written by Leslaw Kazmierczak and directed by Cezary Pazura.
- "Weekend" a.k.a. "The Weekend" is a 1999 drama film written and directed by Brian Skeet.
- read more about The Weekend
- "Weekend" is a 1998 short film written and directed by Nanouk Leopold.
- country: Netherlands
- language: Dutch Language
- producers: Judith Bleijenbergh-Flemm & Maarten Cornelis
- production design by Nanouk Leopold
- written by Nanouk Leopold
- cinematography by Suzan van Steenwijk
- edited by Katharina Wartena
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Weekend" is a 1962 drama film from Denmark, written by Klaus Rifbjerg and directed by Palle Kjærulff-Schmidt.
- country: Denmark
- language: Danish Language
- producers: Bent Christensen & Preben Philipsen
- production design by Erik Aaes
- art direction by Erik Aaes
- written by Klaus Rifbjerg
- cinematography by Georg Oddner
- edited by Maj Soya
- music by Erik Moseholm
- genre: Drama
- released in (53 years ago)
- "Weekend" is a short film, directed by Yong-geun Min.
Phrases with Weekend
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Weekend
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Volume I by Ralph R. Greenson
Some respond as though the weekend is a holiday, a carnival, others as though it were an abandonment or a desertion. Ferenczi (1919C) described the ...
The New Wave (1976)
Truffaut, Godard, Chabrol, Rohmer, Rivette by James Monaco
Weekend is a farewell dirge. The last title, which intrudes on Corinne and Kalfon as they munch on bits of stewed English tourists, seasoned with the leftovers of Roland, announces: END OF STORY END OF CINEMA Yet the ennui with ...
Cinema and the Politics of Speed and Stasis by Karen Beckman
Weekend is a film in which hyperbolic, apocalyptic visions of disaster re- peatedly suggest the end of everything while...
Study Skills Strategies (2003)
Outlining by Mary Mueller
The weekend is the favorite part of the week for many people. First, they relish the time to relax. Second, they delight in not having to follow a set schedule. Finally, they enjoy staying up on Friday and Saturday ...
The Little Numbers That Rule Our Lives by Peter Olofsson
If we let A and B be the events “rain on Saturday” and “rain on Sunday” respectively, then a rainy weekend is the event “A or B,” and because p = P(A and B), we get the equation P(A...
= 1 and the rainy weekend is a fact.
by Emmet Purcell
Yes, the weekend is an everpresent topic of conversation and status messages on Facebook, usually beginning each...
Dying In Style (2005)
Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper by Elaine Viets
Best time to buy: The monthly retail sale guides say Memorial Day weekend is a good time to look for low prices on summer bags .
by Lorraine L. Ukens
Weekend. Getaway. Goals 1. To encourage groups to share available resources. 2. To explore how one group may need to rely on other groups for necessary resources. 3. To practice creative problem solving. 4. To examine ways to increase ...
Over 7,100 terms on Airlines, Tourism, Hospitality, Cruises, Car Rentals, GDS, Geography, Climate, Ecology, Business, Customs, and Organizations Subjects by Homero E. Martinez
The weekday rate applies when a rental does not qualify for a weekly or weekend day provision. Minimum weekday rental is one day, and maximum is four consecutive days. Weekend (Airlines): The period of the week from Friday to Sunday.
Encyclopedia of Tourism (2002)
by Jafar Jafari
PEARCE, AUSTRALIA weekend The weekend forms one of the basic components ...
by Peter B. Levy
RENO, JANET attend a two-day retreat known as Renaissance Weekend. This get- together, which the Clintons began attending in the mid-1980s, brought together an assortment of VIPs, including Nobel Prize winners, justices of the ...
by Jon Carlson, Shannon B. Dermer
The marriage encounter weekend program typically extends from Friday evening through Sunday afternoon and is facilitated by one to three couples and, when sponsored by the Catholic Church, a priest. Other organizations utilize pastors, ...
by Klaus-Uwe Panther, Günter Radden
“weekend. frame. of. mind”. Towards motivating the micro-variation in the use of one type of metonymy Mario Brdar and Rita Brdar-Szabo University of Osijek and EOtvOs Lorand University, Budapest A series of corpus-based case studies on ...
by Carole Marsh
Choctaw Powwow, Canadian, September; Seminole Nation Day Powwow, Wewoka, September; Eufaula Powwow, Labor Day Weekend; Cheyenne & Arapaho Powwow, Colony, Labor Day Weekend; Cherokee National Holiday & Powwow, ...
by Kelly Boyer Sagert
See also Barefoot Water Skiing; Kite Surfing; Windsurfing WEEKEND WARRIORS The term ''weekend warrior'' refers to a person who does not regularly exercise during the work week, but then actively participates in vigorous physical ...
Books of Recognized Merit by Alethea Helbig, Agnes Perkins
THE WEEKEND WAS MURDER/ 357 people. Also evident are the early maturation of pioneer children and the self- sufficiency of the settlers, while the sense of forest isolation is very strong. Although it is unlikely that Weasel should not have ...
by Carl Morton
day 3 of classes for the week and 2 days away from the weekend. weekend (aka Saturday & Sunday): what separates one week from the next. well-read: anyone with a degree in English Literature. whisper: the volume at ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Weekend
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Weekend
Click on an item to view that photo:
goodbye weekend see you soon!
Photo credit: Rising Damp
Photo credit: giulia.forsythe
Photo credit: Simon Blackley
Photo credit: llee_wu
Photo credit: electrees
Photo credit: gaborlengyel
Photo credit: ZapTheDingbat
Photo credit: Jackal1
- Weekend walk
Photo credit: p_a_h
Photo credit: nonanet
Photo credit: alfonso venzuela
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Weekend
Click on an item to play that video:
- Startup weekend explanation
What is a startup weekend ? DMUM explains it to you in 1'10 minute. A video realized during the Lyon startup weekend in 30 hours ! Realized by : Sydo ...
- Queens Birthday Weekend Explanation
A quick explanation as to why Australia (apart from WA) celebrate the "Queen's Birthday" by having a long weekend in June.
- Random Weekend Explanation For Future Gaming RWEFFG (watch the whole video, even after the outro)
Random Weekend Explanation.
- Brendan Hawthorne launches National Dialect Weekend at Wednesbury town hall
Brendan Hawthorne launches National Dialect Weekend.
- Raemi's Weekend Explanation
- Weekend Meaning
Video shows what weekend means. The break in the working week, usually two days including the traditional holy or sabbath day. Thus in western countries, ...
- Weekend warrior Meaning
Video shows what weekend warrior means. A part-time soldier, or reservist. A person who indulges in a sport or pastime on an infrequent basis, usually on ...
- Weekend Rotation Explanation
- UW Parents Weekend - Meaning of Life
- Lost weekend Meaning
Video shows what lost weekend means. A period of several days in which one indulges in activities such as binge drinking, drug-taking and sex.. Lost weekend ...
- Definition of Party Holiday Yacht Party 2014 | Labor Day Weekend
Definition of Party Holiday Yacht Party 2014 | Labor Day Weekend.
- Indian in the machine at Crystal Weekend 6 - The meaning of 10 10 10
- Make Meaning on KTVK Weekend
- Idiom weekend 1
- The Shins - "New Slang" (LIVE - Coachella 2012 Weekend 2)
The Shins perform "New Slang" at Coachella 2012 Weekend 2 on 4/21/12.
- The Shins - New Slang - Coachella Weekend 2
- Final Weekend for The Meaning of Steaming
April is dedicated to all things steam at Fixtures Living, join us for the last Saturday demonstration on April 27 at 2pm.
- The Shins - New Slang (Live at Coachella 2012 Weekend 2)
Sorry for the inevitable camera shake. It was out of sheer fatigue. No copyright infringement intended.
- Laundry Coin King Explanation: MLK Weekend
- Vocabulary UME student, English LIterature, Year 3, Semster 1, Weekend Classs, 2014-2015
Maranak Sangkrous Association of Cambodia (MSAC) was established on 17 July 2013 by the Voluntary university students to serve all types of people in ...
- Weekend Language Is For Weekdays
- Pillars Weekend - The Language of Caanan
- The Lawrence Minute - Language Immersion Weekend
"Knowing other languages and understanding other cultures is a 21st century skill set for American students as they prepare to live and work in a global society.
- Vancouver Startup Weekend - Language XP - Winning Pitch
Winning Pitch in Vancouver Startup Weekend 2013.
- Le Butcherettes - The LEIBNIZ LANGUAGE - Coachella 2012 Weekend 1
amazing, especially the climbing. from 4.15.12.
- Benjad at the Cornish language weekend
See also the pronunciation examples of Weekend!
Sign language task weekend story
Quotes about Weekend
Scrabble value of W4E1E1K5E1N1D2
The value of this 7-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Weekend to see it in context!