Weep appears in the following tongue twister:
- Silly sheep weep and sleep.
Weep appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- "Pee – with gin taste, Geno – one gets at night," I weep.
- For a jar of pee, will a gleeful fan in a flu feel gall I weep for a jar of?
On this page:
- Definition of the verb weep
- Phrases with Weep
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Weep
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Weep
- Usage statistics about weep
- Photos about Weep
- Video language resources about Weep
- Quotes about Weep
- Scrabble value of W4E1E1P3
- Share this page
The word weep is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
Definition of the verb weep
What does weep mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections:
|simple past||past participle||present participle||third-person singular|
- shed tears because of sadness, rage, or pain
- examples: To weep is to make less the depth of grief. | As soon as she heard the news, she began to weep. | The poor little girl did nothing but weep. | Her father did nothing but weep at her wedding. | We could not but weep at the sad news. | He did nothing but weep when he heard of his mother's death. | She did nothing but weep at the news. | As soon as she saw me, she began to weep. | She began to grumble and then to weep. | My mother did nothing but weep.
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being] [Verb] Paul breathed Verbs Involving the Body: barf, bleed, dribble, drool, pee, piss, puke, shit, spit, sweat, throw up, vomit [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] The dragon breathed fire [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] on / onto [Oblique] The dragon breathed fire on Mary [Agent - being] [Verb] on / onto [Oblique] Paul breathed on Mary [Cause] [Verb] by [Experiencer] The beauty of the Grand Canyon has been marveled over by countless tourists Verbs of Psychological State: bleed, care, cry, fear, feel, grieve, mourn [Experiencer - being] [Verb] I will suffer [Experiencer - being] [Verb] for [Cause] I grieve for my departed Juliet [Agent - being] [Verb] Paul laughed Verbs Involving the Body: beam, cackle, chortle, chuckle, cough, cry, frown, gape, gasp, gawk, giggle, glare, glower, goggle, grimace, grin, groan, growl, guffaw, howl, jeer, laugh, moan, pout, scoff, scowl, sigh, simper, smile, smirk, sneer, sneeze, snicker, sniff, snigger, snivel, snore, snort, sob, titter, whistle, yawn [Agent - being] [Verb] [Oblique] [Adjective] Paul laughed himself sick [Agent - being] [Verb] [Oblique 1] [Path Preposition] [Oblique 2] The audience laughed the actor off the stage [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] Paul laughed a cheerful laugh [Agent - being] [Verb] at [Cause] Paul laughed at the story [Agent - being] [Verb] in / from [Theme] She laughed in/from embarrassment [Agent - being] [Verb] at / to / towards / for [Recipient] Paul laughed at Mary
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonym of weep: cry
- more generic terms: express emotion / express feelings = give verbal or other expression to one's feelings
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the verb weep
- To cry, shed tears.
Weep is an American rock band from New York City whose music combines elements of ethereal wave, gothic rock, shoegazing, post-punk, and synthpop. Formed in 2008 by singer and guitarist Doc Hammer, formerly of Requiem in White and Mors Syphilitica and writer and voice actor for the animated television series The Venture Bros., the band's lineup also includes bass guitarist Fred Macaraeg, keyboard player Alex Dziena, and drummer Bill Kovalcik. Their debut EP Never Ever was released in 2008 through Hammer's Astro-Base Go company and Projekt Records, followed in 2010 by the full-length album Worn Thin and a remix EP, 6 Interpretations. Their second album, Alate, followed in 2012.
- genres: Gothic rock, Ethereal wave, Shoegazing, Synthpop
- albums: "Never Ever", "Worn Thin", "6 Interpretations"
- official website: myspace.com/weeptheband
- "Weep" is a musical EP of Minorstep.
- released on
- "Weep" is a musical album of Books Lie.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Weep" is a musical single of Reamonn.
- released on (14 years ago)
- Weep: A weep, a weep hole, or a weep-brick is a small opening that allows water to drain from within an assembly. Weeps are located at the bottom of the object to allow for drainage; the weep hole must be sized adequately to overcome surface tension.
- WEEP is a radio station formerly licensed to serve Virginia, Minnesota. The FCC license, most recently held by Full Armor Ministries, Inc., expired on August 1, 2005. The station last aired a Religious radio format. The station began broadcasting in 1936, with a power of 250 watts. It was the ninth oldest station in Minnesota.
Phrases with Weep
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Weep
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Western Malady by Matthew Bell
The ability to weep is a sign of the ability to feel and is therefore closely ...
Medical Lexicon. A New Dictionary of Medical Science, containing a concise account of the various subjects and terms, ... and formulae for ... preparations etc. Third edition (1844)
Dacryoadmul'gia, from daxguw, ' l weep,' ...
by Anton Lustig
weep; Mai35mai35mai35, ...
by Stephen Diller, Janelle Diller
Place weep holes every 16 inches at the base of the cavity and wherever there's flashing. Weep holes should...
The Literary Cyclopædia, Or Universal Dictionary of Ideas; in which the Best Definitions, Opinions, and Allusions of the Most Highly Gifted of Mankind ... are Rendered Applicable to Domestic and Public Tuition, Etc... By T. Dolby. With an Original Memoir of Each Author by T. Roscoe (1834)
Some weep to share the fame of the deceas'd, So high in merit and to them so dear. They dwell on praises which they think they share; And thus, without a blush, commend themselves. Some mourn, in proof that something they could love: ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Weep
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about weep
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb weep:
Photos about Weep
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Weep
Click on an item to play that video:
- Weep Meaning
Video shows what weep means. To cry; shed tears.. To lament; to complain.. To produce secretions.. weep pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by ...
- Enough to make the angels weep Meaning
Video shows what enough to make the angels weep means. Something so distressing that it causes one to lose hope and faith.. Enough to make the angels ...
View more videos about Weep hole.
Quotes about Weep
Scrabble value of W4E1E1P3
The value of this 4-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Weep to see it in context!