The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun whole:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun whole
- Definition of the adjective whole
- Definition of the adverb whole
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Whole
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Whole
- Photos about Whole
- Video language resources about Whole
- Sign language
- Quotes about Whole
- Scrabble value of W4H4O1L1E1
- Anagrams of WHOLE
- Share this page
The word whole is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun whole
What does whole mean as a name of something?
Whole is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: wholes
- all of something including all its component elements or parts
- examples: Europe considered as a whole | the whole of American literature
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- more generic words: concept / conception / construct = an abstract or general idea inferred or derived from specific instances
- more specific words:
- part: division / section / part = one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole
- an assemblage of parts that is regarded as a single entity
- example: how big is that part compared to the whole?
- lexical domain: Tops - unique beginner for nouns
- synonym of whole: unit
- more generic terms: object / physical object = a tangible and visible entity
- more specific terms:
- congener = a whole (a thing or person) of the same kind or category as another
- animate thing / living thing = a living (or once living) entity
- natural object = an object occurring naturally
- artefact / artifact = a man-made object taken as a whole
- assembly = a unit consisting of components that have been fitted together
- item = a whole individual unit
- aggregate / totality / total / sum = the whole amount
Alternative definition of the noun whole
- Something complete, without any parts missing.
- meronyms: part
- An entirety.
Definition of the adjective whole
What does whole mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- including all components without exception; being one unit or constituting the full amount or extent or duration; complete
- examples: gave his whole attention | a whole wardrobe for the tropics | the whole hog | a whole week | the baby cried the whole trip home | a whole loaf of bread
- antonym: fractional
- similar: entire / full / total; full-length; full-page; entire / intact / integral; livelong; undivided
- attribute: integrity / wholeness / unity = an undivided or unbroken completeness or totality with nothing wanting
- see also: complete
- (of siblings) having the same parents
- example: whole brothers and sisters
- antonym: half
- not injured or harmed
- exhibiting or restored to vigorous good health
- acting together as a single undiversified whole
Alternative definition of the adjective whole
- See entire.
- sound, uninjured, healthy.
Definition of the adverb whole
What does whole mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- to a complete degree or to the full or entire extent (`whole' is often used informally for `wholly')
Alternative definition of the adverb whole
- [colloquial] in entirety; entirely; wholly
- "Whole" is the sixth studio album by American metal band soil, released through Pavement Music on August 20th, 2013. It is the first album since 2004 to feature Ryan Mcombs on lead vocals, having returned to the band in 2011.
- genre: Nu metal
- released on
- "Whole" a.k.a. "Whole EP" is the first EP by Pedro the Lion. It was released on 8 April 1997 on Tooth & Nail.
- read more about Whole EP
- "Whole" is a musical single of Ze Frank.
- released on (6 years ago)
"Whole" is a book written by T. Colin Campbell with Howard Jacobson.
- "Whole" is a documentary about people with body integrity identity disorder. It first was broadcast on the Sundance Channel in 2004.
- "Whole" is a film, directed by Stephan Hillerbrand & Mary Magsamen.
- country: United States of America
- genre: Experimental film
- released in (4 years ago)
Whole is the second studio album from Christian singer-songwriter Jessa Anderson, which it is independently released through Crash Records on April 8, 2014, and its producer is Brandon Perdue. In addition, this is the third album for her career.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Whole
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Collection of the Year's Best Torah by Joel Lurie Grishaver, Rabbi Stuart Kelman
Being whole means seeing yourself as an open book, full of possibility; seeing ...
by Josue M. Gonzalez
Whole language is a philosophical perspective about how language is acquired. The premise of this perspective is that acquiring language is easy when it is kept whole and meaningful and it is hard when it is broken down into a series of ...
by David C. Wiley, Amy C. Cory
A child is a human being and an intact whole organism. However, the concept of a Whole Child implies that somehow we need to keep children and youth intact and not divided into parts or dimensions. The preferred educational approach for ...
by Charles James
These duty soundings, according to situation, are given by one trumpet, or by the whole of the quarter, regiment, or camp. - For Exercise. 16. March. The squadron, regiment, or line being halted, the trumpet of the commander will accompany ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Whole
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Whole
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: binaryimage
Photo credit: jameskadamson
via Instagram ift.tt/2rlz9Bd
Photo credit: robtrick
- Whole Wheat Baguette
Whole Wheat Baguette recipe
Photo credit: jspatchwork
- Whole Soybeans in Hands
If used, credit must be given to the United Soybean Board or the Soybean Checkoff.
Photo credit: UnitedSoybeanBoard
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Whole
Click on an item to play that video:
- Whole Brain Teaching Vocabulary 3rd Grade
- When CLG Gave Camping A Whole New Meaning
- Whole Brain Teaching in Middle School: Teaching Vocabulary (Holt Literature Curriculum)
Join Mrs. Tang as she teaches her 7th grade ELA students vocabulary that goes along with the story that her class is currently reading. She uses the Whole ...
- Whole Brain Teaching- Weekly Vocabulary and Classroom Rules
via YouTube Capture.
- The power of 3: giving triathlon a whole new meaning | Phil Smith | TEDxGlasgow
Whether it's braving the open waters, competing in crowded conditions or finishing strong, the analogies between business and triathlon are plentiful.
- New in Entity Pilot beta4 - easily send a whole vocabulary between Drupal 8 sites
Entity Pilot 8.x-1.x-beta4 adds a new feature - the ability to easily create a departure from a whole content-entity bundle - e.g. all terms in a vocabulary; or all ...
- Whole Chuck Explanation
- Warehouse Forklift Driver Gives A Whole New Meaning To The Domino Effect
Warehouse Forklift Driver Gives A Whole New Meaning To The Domino Effect...
- Patriotism Took on a Whole New Meaning, by Sherry Wyatt
Sherry Wyatt, former Boone Hospital nurse, returned to the hospital on Friday, November 9, 2012. She spoke about losing her son Spc. Sterling Wyatt and his ...
- Whole House Dehumidifier Quick Explanation:
Nate Exam Review...
- Airbus 380 Vmu demo - it brings a whole new meaning to Tail
Airbus 380 Vmu demo - it brings a whole new meaning to Tail Dragger! Certification: it's called the Vmu demonstration.. Most non-pilots have never seen this test ...
- A whole new meaning to "Station Spinning"
CCP at it's very finest. Docking is going to be such a pain.... Game: EvE online Music: Dustsucker by Jens Kiilstofte Listen here: ...
- Whole Brain Teaching in Middle School: Choral Reading and Vocabulary Candy/Review
This video shows how Mrs Tang, along with her 7th grade ELA class, read together (aka choral read) then review their vocabulary words after they read the ...
- GenoProX Family, a whole new meaning to family ties
- Creating Business Relationships lecture 4 stay connect with whole meaning of Listen
Business relations are relations between stakeholders in the business process, such as employer-employee, the employer/employee and business partner, ...
- Giving Student Government a Whole New Meaning
High school senior Cicely Rhodin thinks birth certificates in California should include accents, umlauts, cedillas and other markings. So she proposed a bill in ...
- Femimal- Girl power is taking a whole new meaning
Femimal supplements, real Girl Power.
- Meaning of Synergy | English | Whole is more than the parts
Bucky Fuller was an iconic designer. In the 1950s he designed the Geodesic Dome and predicted that it was the lightest structure for its weight. In the 1970s ...
- Very Detailed explanation of Whole Body Cryotherapy
A very good and detailed explanation of Whole Body Cryotherapy / Cryosauna. Watch to understand what's behind this unique treatment technology and try at ...
- Beauty sleep has a whole new meaning
Shop these products and others at: ...
- Whole Brain Teaching ESL
Whole Brain Teaching in an ESL classroom in El Salvador.
- WHOLE English Language - SSP PHONICS Reading and Spelling Lesson with Miss Emma
Every spelling choice for the speech sounds used within phonics teaching. NB this video has been improved and updated !
- Learning a language in a whole new way
See also the pronunciation examples of Whole!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Whole Part Technique | ASL - American Sign Language
Learn how to use the Whole-Part Technique in ASL - American Sign Language. The Whole-Part Technique is a visual tool to convey information more clearly.
- Whole Wide World by Mindy Gledhill American Sign Language
- Graduation Closing Song - Sign Language - He's Got the Whole World in His Hands
Preschool Graduation Ceremony.
- A Whole New World Sign Language
- He's Got The Whole World - Sign Language
Quotes about Whole
Scrabble value of W4H4O1L1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of WHOLE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Whole!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Whole to see it in context!