Wife appears in the following tongue twisters:
- Washington's wash woman washed Washington's wash while Washington's wife went west.
- Federal Express is now called FedEx.
When I retire I'll be a FedEx ex.
But if I'm an officer when I retire, I'll be an ex Fedex Exec.
Then after a divorce, my ex-wife will be an ex FedEx exec's ex.
If I rejoin FedEx in time, I'd be an ex ex FedEx exec.
When we remarry, my wife will be an ex ex FedEx exec's ex.
Wife appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Playing jazz vibe chords quickly excites my wife. (41 letters)
Usage statistics for the noun wife:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun wife
- Phrases with Wife
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Wife
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Wife
- Usage statistics about wife
- Photos about Wife
- Video language resources about Wife
- Sign language
- Quotes about Wife
- Scrabble value of W4I1F4E1
- Anagrams of WIFE
- Share this page
The word wife is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun wife
What does wife mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: wives
- a married woman; a man's partner in marriage
- examples: He was still mad about the accident despite his wife's conciliatory words. | It is surprising that your wife should object. | It was bad of you to get angry at your wife. | Upon arriving at the airport, he made a phonecall to his wife. | I lost my wife last year. | My wife and I agreed on a holiday plan. | He will come with his wife, as is often the case with foreigners. | In our culture, a man is allowed to be married to only one wife at a time. | My wife holds the purse strings in our family. | I heard the manager's wife is on vacation. And, well, when the cat's away, the mice play. Now he's out partying every night.
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of wife: married woman
- antonym of wife: husband
- more generic terms: better half / married person / mate / partner / spouse = a person's partner in marriage; adult female / woman = an adult female person
- more specific terms:
- battle-axe / battle-ax = a sharp-tongued domineering wife
- crown princess = the wife of a crown prince
- first lady = the wife of a chief executive
- golf widow = a wife who is left alone much of the time because her husband is playing golf
- honest woman = a wife who has married a man with whom she has been living for some time
- woman of the house / lady of the house / homemaker / housewife = a wife who manages a household while her husband earns the family income
- marchioness = the wife or widow of a marquis
- matron = a married woman (usually middle-aged with children) who is staid and dignified
- mayoress = the wife of a mayor
- missis / missus = informal term of address for someone's wife
- old lady = your own wife
- sheikha / sheika = the wife of a sheik
- signora = an Italian title of address equivalent to Mrs. when used before a name
- trophy wife = a wife who is an attractive young woman
- uxor / ux. = the Latin word for wife
- vicereine = wife of a viceroy
- viscountess = a wife or widow of a viscount
- Bathsheba = the wife of Uriah and later the wife of king David
- Catherine of Aragon / Catherine = first wife of Henry VIII
- Anne Hathaway / Hathaway = wife of William Shakespeare
- Rachel = the second wife of Jacob and mother of Joseph and Benjamin
- Rebecca / Rebekah = wife of Isaac and mother of Jacob and Esau
- Ruth = the great-grandmother of king David whose story is told in the Book of Ruth in the Old Testament
- Sarah = the wife of Abraham and mother of Isaac
Alternative definition of the noun wife
- A married woman, especially in relation to her spouse.
- The female of a pair of mated animals.
- synonym: spouse (also applies to husband)
- [context: Geordie, dialect, archaic] A woman (compare old wife and aad wife).
- synonym: significant other (also applies to husband)
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2012 film L.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2013 film Breath In.
- Wife is a fictional film character.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2012 film Bite of the Tail.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2012 film The Return.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2012 film Modus Anomali.
- Wife is a fictioinal character from the 1968 film Al-millionaire al-mouzayyaf.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2012 film Runaways.
- Wife is a fictional film character.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 1995 film The Bridges of Madison County.
- The Wife is a fictional character from The Hunter.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2011 film Should the Wife Confess?.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2013 film Upstream Color.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2010 short film All in.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2009 film Katalin Varga.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2011 film Monster Brawl.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2009 film guilt.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2013 film She.
- Wife a.k.a. Bok-soon is a fictional character from the 2011 film Red Vacance Black Wedding.
- read more about Bok-soon
- Wife a.k.a. Kató is a fictional character from the 1979 film Wrong-Doers.
- read more about Kató
- Wife is a fictional character in the 2003 comedy TV film Crazy Love.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 1978 film The Shout.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 1976 film Árvácska.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 1998 film Small Soldiers.
- Wife is a fictional character in the 2012 film Chilly.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2009 film Slow Game.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2002 film Three.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 1981 film Blood Wedding.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2001 film Poisons or the World History of Poisoning.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2007 film O Som E O Resto.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2009 short action/drama film "Los Bandoleros".
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2009 film The Dark Harbour.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2010 film Celebration.
- Wife is a fictional character from Cadillac Records.
- Wife is a fictional character from the film "Apocalypto".
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2006 film Heremias.
- Wife ia a fictional character from 2013 film A Grand Canal.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 1968 film Manon 70.
- Wife is a fictional character from 2010 short comedy drama film The Thing About Dolphins.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2011 film Beast.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 1983 film The Dog's Night Song.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2008 film Hijack.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2008 film Parking.
- Wife is a fictional character from Culling Hens.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2005 film The 10th Amendment Project .
- Wife is a fictional character from the film Your Lucky Day.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2001 film The Eulogist.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2009 film Echo of Eco.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 1950 film Hamari Beti.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 1979 film Troubled Laughter.
- Wife is a fictional character from Beach Lane.
- Wife is a fictional character from the 2002 film Flying.
There are other characters with in their name, like X-wife, Ex-Wife, Navy Wife, First Wife, Lot's wife, Jude's Wife, Second Wife, Trophy Wife, Wife Beater, Miner's Wife, American Wife, Curley's Wife, Mourning Wife, Selvam's wife, Soldier's Wife, Xu Lang's Wife, Governor's Wife, Potiphar's Wife, Preacher's Wife.
- "Wife" is a novel by noted author, Bharati Mukherjee.
- language: English Language
- genre: Fiction
- subject: North America
- released in (40 years ago)
- "Wife" is a book by Jacqueline Baird.
- genres: Fiction, Romance novel
- subject: Adult
- "Wife" is a film, directed by Kim Mook.
- "Wife" is a 1983 drama film.
- also known as 아내
- country: South Korea
- language: Korean Language
- genres: East Asian cinema, World cinema, Drama
- released on (31 years ago)
- "Wife" is a film.
- country: India
- genres: Tollywood, South Asian cinema, World cinema
- "Wife" is a film.
- award: - Nandi Award for Best Audiographer, received by Kolli Rama krishna
- Wife: A wife is a female partner in a continuing marital relationship. A wife may also be referred to as a spouse. The term continues to be applied to a woman who has separated from her partner and ceases to be applied to such a woman only when her marriage has come to an end following a legally recognised divorce or the death of her spouse. On the death of her partner, a wife is referred to as a widow, but not after she is divorced from her partner.
- Wife is a TV program.
- also known as Ah nae
- begun on and completed on (12 years ago)
- country: South Korea
- regular cast:
- WIFE a.k.a. WLPK 1580 AM is a radio station broadcasting an classic hits format. Licensed to Connersville, Indiana, the station is owned by Rodgers Broadcasting Corporation.
- read more about WLPK
- Wife is a film directed by Japanese director Mikio Naruse originally released in 1953. It is based on the novel Chairo no me, written by Fumiko Hayashi in 1950. Like other Naruse films from this period, such as Repast, the theme of Wife involves a couple trapped with each other. And like two other Naruse films based on novels by Hayashi, Repast and Lightning, the story involves a stale marriage and unhappy family.
Phrases with Wife
Phrases starting with the word Wife:
Phrases ending with the word Wife:
- Aad Wife
- old wife
- Work Wife
- Dutch wife
- lot's wife
- trophy wife
- Country Wife
- man and wife
- The World and His Wife
Other phrase containing the word Wife:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Wife
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Jan Harold Brunvand
Here Langer s summary of "the most complete version of this strange story that was making the rounds" was provided: A young married couple hires a servant since the wife is pregnant and almost due. The baby is born. A few weeks later the ...
Bashgali Dictionary (2001)
An Analysis of Colonel J. Davidson's Notes on the Bashgali Language by Sten Konow
a woman, a wife. The word also occurs in the forms istri, shiri, and shtari. The following forms occur : ishiri, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Wife
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about wife
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the noun wife:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun wife and its most common antonym:
Photos about Wife
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: tompagenet
Photo credit: zimpenfish
Photo credit: blag jet
Photo credit: Jack Duval
Photo credit: zimpenfish
via Instagram ift.tt/2sYUGDN
Photo credit: Philip Morris
Photo credit: ajwflickr
Photo credit: Shaikhji
- Wife Carrying
Wife Carrying Competition held in Geraldton for Australia Day. The action seen at left is a spill with no injury but lost time.
Photo credit: shingleback
- Happy wife
Photo credit: https://www.facebook.com/James.J.star
- Wife & Husband
Photo credit: unclepockets
- Future Wife
Photo credit: Gabe Photos
- Blow Wife
Fractrals in nature... beautiful
Photo credit: Native Heart Collections ~ Debbie Ballentine
- Wife and son
Photo credit: Pascal Maramis
- Here lies the virtuous wife at rest
Photo credit: Tim Green aka atoach
- Wife's 1st photo shoot
Photo credit: J Jackson Foto
- Husband Wife Friends
Photo credit: GoodNCrazy
- Wife in Oak
Photo credit: ToobyDoo
- Wife of Tutankhamon
Photo credit: zolakoma
View more pictures about The Wife.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Wife
Click on an item to play that video:
- Wife Meaning
Video shows what wife means. A married woman, especially in relation to her spouse.. The female of a pair of mated animals.. wife synonyms: Wikisaurus:wife, ...
- Actor singamuthu's Funny & Double meaning talk about vijaykanth and his wife - Red Pix 24x7
Actor singamuthu's Direct Attack on Vijaykanth's Family in his Election Campaign - Red Pix 24x7 Singamuthu is Famous Tamil Comedy Actor. Vadivelu and ...
- Comedy Week Special : Nouk Jhok - Wife, Biwi, Aur Patni Ka Meaning
Nouk Jhok brings to you the never ending fun filled Husband and Wife arguments that will make you Laugh Out Loud. For more really Funny videos, ...
- Stepford Wife meaning and pronunciation
1.) Used to describe a servile, compliant, submissive, spineless wife who happily does her husband's bidding and serves his every whim dutifully. 2.) Can also ...
- Abbreviation: Meaning behind word Family, Wife, Husband and Hello
- The Meaning of Wife
A comedy about who gets hitched these days... and what the hell they're thinking. With Ailin Conant and Erin Judge. For more info...
- Wife meaning and pronunciation
The beautiful, inteligent, classy and fulfilling companion of a man that is wise enough to notice such qualities. Usually despised and hated on by the baby ...
- Funny Meaning of WIFE - 5th October 2011
Watch the elaborating of the meaning of the word WIFE.
- The Fisherman and His Wife Vocabulary
Vocabulary words from The Fisherman and His Wife.
- Modi Must Give Explanation for not Mentioning his Wife Name in earlier Affidavit - Nageswar |10tv
- Stock Footage - Husband & Wife / Explanation of Color Blindness and Chromosomes
- The Meaning of Wife - Original video shown at the Wedding of Geraldine Guerin & Frank Frawley
Geraldine surprised Frank with this little video on their Wedding Day - 28th November 2014 - at the Castle Oaks House Hotel, Limerick.
- BEATING WIFE AND GURAN (THE FALSE MEANING) AYA 434
- MIND YOUR LANGUAGE ALI's WIFE and RANJEED
- THE OTHER WIFE (*coarse language) with english subtitles
Knock knock. Open it. If you dare. Starring: Benjamin Tay, Liyan, Yanling Teo & Joyce Goh *With English subtitles (turn ON captions)
- Military Wife answers dumb questions (LANGUAGE R)
For all the spouses of the military that get all those dumb questions. P.S Don't watch it if you don't like the F bomb because it will be dropped. For all the people ...
- Vimala Narasimhan AP Governor ESL Narasimhans Wife
- See the body language: John Legend and wife, Kim and Kanye
John Legend and his wife Chrissy Teigen and Kim and Kanye went on a double date at the Waffle House after an event and you can see the difference in body ...
- Governor ESL Narasimhan with his wife takes Holy Dips At Bhadrachalam | Godavari Pushkaralu
Telugu states Governor ESL Narasimhan with his wife took holy dips in river Godavari on the eve of Godavari Pushkaralu at Bhadrachalam pushkar ghat.
- Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan and his wife cast their vote
Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan and his wife Vimala Narasimhan cast their votes at a polling centre near Raj Bhavan. Watch this video to find more.
- Governor ESL Narasimhan with his wife takes Holy Dips | Godavari Pushkaralu | Rajahmundry
Telugu states Governor ESL Narasimhan with his wife took holy dips in river Godavari on the eve of Godavari Pushkaralu at Rajahmundry pushkar ghat.
- Learning with Petemcg Urban Dictionary - Wife Beater
- Governor ESL Narasimhan with his Wife takes Holy Dip At Bhadrachalam | CVR News
Governor of Telugu states ESL Narasimhan took holy dip in river Godavari along with family members at Rajahmundry Pushkar ghat. Watch CVR News, the 24/7 ...
- A Man and His Wife - Importance of Language (Clip)
- LATEST C LANGUAGE ( WIFE OF CH MUSHTAQ AHMED BAJWA ) 157 RB GOJRA
- A WIFE OF ADAM IN TEMNE LANGUAGE /SIERRA LEONE
A Wife for Adam Genesis 2:15-25 in TEMNE. A Wife for AdamGod put Adam in a beautiful (fertile) garden and he cared for it. There were male and female ...
- Prue Taylor wife of Brian Taylor director of King s Education language school who d
- EFL Play: Silkie, the seal wife
The story of a beautiful mythological creature called the Silkie, derived from Irish folklore and retold through Reader's Theatre by Spanish enthusiasts in Llanes, ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Wife!
Sign Language wife cutting some shapes
Quotes about Wife
Mother! I love you more than my wife.
Mother! You love me more than my wife does.
Mother! You will not outlive my wife,
Whom I need to lean on after you.
Sorry! I am listening to my wife.
23.07.2009. (Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar)
more quotes about wife...
Scrabble value of W4I1F4E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of WIFE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Wife!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Wife to see it in context!