The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective windy:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective windy
- Definition of the noun windy
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Windy
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Windy
- Photos about Windy
- Videos about Windy
- Sign language
- Quotes about Windy
- Scrabble value of W4I1N1D2Y4
- Share this page
The word windy is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective windy
What does windy mean as an attribute of a noun?
Windy is one of the top 1000 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: more windy / windier | most windy / windiest
- abounding in or exposed to the wind or breezes
- not practical or realizable; speculative
- resembling the wind in speed, force, or variability
- example: a windy dash home
- similar: fast
- using or containing too many words
Alternative definition of the adjective windy
- Accompanied by wind.
- Unsheltered and open to the wind.
- Empty and lacking substance.
- Long-winded; orally verbose.
- See Flatulent.
- [context: of a path etc] Having many bends; winding, twisting or tortuous.
Definition of the noun windy
What does windy mean as a name of something?
- [colloquial] fart
Windy a.k.a. Windy, West Virginia: Windy is an unincorporated community in Wirt County, West Virginia.
- read more about Windy, West Virginia
Windy is an Horse.
- read more about Windy (film actor)
- Windy is a fictional character from the 2012 film Wings.
- Windy is a fictional character from the 1964 film Kidnapped to Mystery Island.
There are other characters with in their name, like Windy Winston.
- "Windy" is a pop music song written by Ruthann Friedman and recorded by The Association. Released in 1967, the song reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in July of that year. Later in 1967, an instrumental version by jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery became his biggest Hot 100 hit when it peaked at #44. "Windy" was The Association's second U.S. number-one, following "Cherish" in 1966. Billboard ranked the record as the No. 4 song for 1967.
- music and lyrics by Ruthann Friedman
- "Windy" is a 1968 studio album by Astrud Gilberto, arranged by Eumir Deodato, Don Sebesky, and Patrick Williams.
- "Windy" is a composition.
- music by Ástor Piazzolla
- "Windy" is a musical single of Wes Montgomery.
- released in (48 years ago)
Windy is a French racing class doublehanded dinghy created in 1962–64. Until circa 1989, about 1500–2000 were built. About half were sold in Germany. Races are held yearly, mainly in France and Germany. In 2008 new-produced boats are offered again.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Windy
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor
to arrive; to arrive eventually; to settlein afinal position US, 1918 windy noun 1 awindproof jacket and over-trousers ANTARCTICA, 2003. 2inpool, a shot that passestheobject ballwithout touching it. Based on the image of the ...
With Illustrations from English Literature and Colloquial English, Tr. Into Hindustani by S. W. Fallon
Windy, adj. 1. consisting of wind ...
by Donald J. Orth
Windy Creek: stream, flows NW to Candle Creek, about 14 mi. SW of Candle and 30 mi. NE of Imuruk Lake, Seward Penin. High.; (map 110). Prospectors' name reported on a precinct map of Seward Peninsula by Monroe and Hutchins; ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Windy
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Windy
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Flavio~
Photo credit: dcwriterdawn
Wind turbine in the Somme region of northern France.
Photo credit: Timitrius
Photo credit: Alex Holyoake
Photo credit: Joopey
Photo credit: chase_elliott
Photo credit: Owen..
Taken with Deepak's 50mm f/1.8 in Pu La Deshpande park on Sunday Morning! Nice little casual shoot.
there was lot of wind and f/1.8 really helped to get this one in focus (1/4000 s... that's enough to keep anything in focus provided you have focused it right in first place :D)
Photo credit: Yogendra174
Pre cyclone winds
Photo credit: George Cinna
a tree, a windy evening
Photo credit: afoncubierta
Photo credit: Banalities
Photo credit: @lattefarsan
Photo credit: sjostromfoto.se
The wind blowing through made the closed ski area look a little post-apocalyptic.
Photo credit: Laurel Fan
Photo credit: ewen and donabel
This wind vane warns you how windy it can get in parts of the Isle of Wight.
Photo credit: garryknight
- Windy Welly
Photo credit: schancock
- Windy Vancouver island
Photo credit: Nick Kenrick..
- Windy Fountain in the Pond
Photo credit: byzantiumbooks
- Little windy
Photo credit: liame.walter
View more pictures about Windy Day.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Windy
Click on an item to play that video:
- Windy Meaning
Video shows what windy means. Accompanied by wind.. Unsheltered and open to the wind.. Empty and lacking substance.. Windy Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Jive Dialect - Windy Blues Halloween Show
Jive Dialect, live performance @ Lunar Brewery, Halloween 2012. What you know about a rappin astronaut?
- WINDY Storm in Panora Iowa (Info Description)
- Signing of Language Preservation Bill Senator Jonathan Windy Boy
Senator Windy Boys Language Preservation Bill.
- RC FLIGHT WINDY FLYING FUN TREX 500 EFL PRO
- Verb Song - Kismet Hardy playing on a windy day in Irchester Park, Beltane Festival
- Pawnee Language (Tom E Knife Chief) - Windy
- Language learning update... Wow it's windy!
- Windy... Reading dictionary.. hahahaha
- Adjective Project Windy
View more videos about Windy City.
WINDY | ASL - American Sign Language
WINDY in ASL.
Quotes about Windy
She's the spirit
The goddess of immortality
She's the spirit
the upside-down reality
Here's the windy winter
The warmth of dying moon
Here's the windy winter
The bleeding-red afternoon (Vidi Pudinkz)
more quotes about windy...
Scrabble value of W4I1N1D2Y4
The value of this 5-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine