Wine appears in the following tongue twister:
- Wow, race winners really want red wine right away!
Wine appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Five wine experts jokingly quizzed sample Chablis. (43 letters)
Wine appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- For a tsar evens a wine den I was never a star of.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun wine
- Definition of the verb wine
- Phrases with Wine
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Wine
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Wine
- Photos about Wine
- Video language resources about Wine
- Quotes about Wine
- Scrabble value of W4I1N1E1
- Anagrams of WINE
- Share this page
The word wine is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun wine
What does wine mean as a name of something?
Wine is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: wines
- fermented juice (of grapes especially)
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- synonym of wine: vino
- more generic terms: alcohol / alcoholic beverage / alcoholic drink / inebriant / intoxicant = a liquor or brew containing alcohol as the active agent
- more specific terms:
- vintage = a season's yield of wine from a vineyard
- red wine = wine having a red color derived from skins of dark-colored grapes
- white wine = pale yellowish wine made from white grapes or red grapes with skins removed before fermentation
- blush wine / pink wine / rose wine / rose = pinkish table wine from red grapes whose skins were removed after fermentation began
- sacramental wine / altar wine = used in a communion service
- sparkling wine = effervescent wine
- Burgundy wine / Burgundy = red table wine from the Burgundy region of France
- Bordeaux wine / Bordeaux = any of several red or white wines produced around Bordeaux, France or wines resembling them
- California wine = any of various wines produced in California
- Cotes de Provence = a wine from southeastern France on the Mediterranean coast
- dessert wine = still sweet wine often served with dessert or after a meal
- Dubonnet = a sweet aromatic French wine (red or white) used chiefly as an aperitif
- jug wine = inexpensive wine sold in large bottles or jugs
- maconnais / macon = fine Burgundy wine usually white and dry
- plonk = a cheap wine of inferior quality
- retsina = Greek wine flavored with resin
- Rhone wine = any of various wines from the Rhone River valley in France
- table wine = wine containing not more than 14 percent alcohol usually served with a meal
- Tokay = Hungarian wine made from Tokay grapes
- vermouth = any of several white wines flavored with aromatic herbs
- generic wine / generic = wine that does not meet the minimum qualifications and standards for use of a designation by appellation of origin (where the grapes are grown) or by varietal content
- varietal wine / varietal = a wine made principally from one grape and carrying the name of that grape
- fortified wine = wine to which alcohol (usually grape brandy) has been added
- mulled wine = wine heated with sugar and spices and often citrus fruit
- substance of: grape = any of various juicy fruit of the genus Vitis with green or purple skins; negus = wine and hot water with sugar and lemon juice and nutmeg
- a red as dark as red wine
Alternative definition of the noun wine
- An alcoholic beverage made by fermenting juice of grapes.
- An alcoholic beverage made by fermenting juice of fruits or vegetables other than grapes, usually preceded by the type of the fruit or vegetable; for example, "dandelion wine".
- [countable] A serving of wine
- [uncountable] A dark purplish red colour; the colour of red wine.
- [context: nonstandard, British] wind
Definition of the verb wine
What does wine mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: wined | wining | wines
- drink wine
- treat to wine
Alternative definition of the verb wine
- [transitive] To entertain with wine.
- [intransitive] To drink wine.
- "Wine" was a 1924 American silent melodrama directed by Louis J. Gasnier, produced and released by Universal Pictures under their 'Jewel' banner. The film featured Clara Bow in her first starring role. The film is now presumed lost.
- "Wine" is a 1913 short comedy film featuring Fatty Arbuckle.
Who is Wine?
Wine is a film director.
- also known as Wyne
- profession: Film director
- read more about Wine (film director)
Phrases with Wine
Phrases starting with the word Wine:
Phrases ending with the word Wine:
- Box wine
- Ice Wine
- jug wine
- may wine
- red wine
- Cask Wine
- Coca wine
- Palm wine
- pink wine
- Plum Wine
- port wine
- Rice wine
- rose wine
- Rosé Wine
- Tent Wine
View more phrases with the word Wine in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Wine
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robert D. Hall
Chapter 10 PROGRESS IN CHEMOMETRICS AND BIOSTATISTICS FOR PLANT APPLICATIONS, OR: A GOOD RED WINE IS A BAD WHITE WINE Joachim Kopka1, Dirk Walther1, J. William Allwood2 and Royston Goodacre2 1Max Planck ...
With Notes Critical and Practical by M. F. Sadler
The old cloth and the old wine is the old or Jewish dispensation, the new cloth or new wine is the Christian, and the Lord here teaches a lesson which even the Apostles were very slow in learning, viz., that the Christian Church cannot be put ...
Wine and Culture (2013)
Vineyard to Glass by Rachel E. Black, Robert C. Ulin
Wine is a product of nature as much as it is a product of human craft and ingenuity. Although there are important microclimatic and geographic considerations, winegrowing involves human intervention in nearly every step of the process—from ...
Landscapes Of Bacchus (2014)
The Vine in Portugal by Dan Stanislawski
The Douro Area ort Wine is a great wine because it is the product of long experimentation, meticulous attention to details, and strict controls; and no Portuguese vineyardist would doubt that the environment of the Douro valley, its place of ...
by Kathleen O'Bannon
WINE IS A MOCKER! PROVERBS 20: 1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not ...
Wine Quality (2009)
Tasting and Selection by Keith Grainger
Wine is an elegant drink, and more. What may appear to be a simple glass of wine can contain a complexity of aromas, flavours, textures and colours encapsulating the skills of generations of winemakers developed in many countries and on ...
by Hugh Johnson
Anchovies A robust wine: red, white or rosé-try Rioja. Or Muscadet. Bass, sea Weissburgunder from Baden or Pfalz. Vg for any fine/delicate white, eg Coonawarra dry Riesling, Chablis, white Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Beurre blanc, fish with ...
An A-Z of Alcoholic Beverages by Ned Halley
Liot, Château wine estate of ...
by Clive Coates
Champagne is the celehration wine. lt launches ships; it commemorates anniversaries; it toasts weddings. As Talleyrand. foreign minister of France in 1814 said. it is a civihsing wine; an elevating wine. as Jorrocks neatly put it (' champagne ...
A Complete Kit of Ready-to-use Checklists, Worksheets, and Training Aids for a Successful Food Service Operation by Douglas Robert Brown
C3-6 Wine Terminology ........................................................C3-8 Wine ...
Encyclopedia of Foods (2002)
A Guide to Healthy Nutrition by Experts from Dole Food Company, Experts from The Mayo Clinic, Experts from UCLA Center for H
Serves 4 4 whole pears 1/2 cup sugar 1 fresh lemon 1/2 bottle red wine 1/2 stick cinnamon (1 tsp ground) Pinch of nutmeg Peel pears, leaving stem. Remove core from the bottom. Lightly rub pears with cut lemon to prevent browning.
by Molefi Kete Asante, Ama Mazama
Turkey Duck, Rice, Liquor, Fruit Raw Rice, Gin, Palm Wine Candy, Cookies, Cake, Honey, Fanta Orange Soda, Fruity Wine, Nana Esi Ketewaa Sugar Cane, Yams, Eggs Kola Nuts, Beer, Schnapps, Rum, Tiger Nuts Peanuts, Green Bananas, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Wine
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Wine
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Leonid Mamchenkov
just trying out the lens
Photo credit: Chippie2004
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Photo credit: www.metaphoricalplatypus.com
Photo credit: jetalone
Photo credit: matthiasschack
Photo credit: Oyvind Solstad
Sign on the back of the Village Cheese Shanty in Leland
Photo credit: schopie1
Photo credit: Suzanne Schroeter
Shinjyuku Isetan wine store
Photo credit: vitalsine
Photo credit: Oyvind Solstad
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: slgckgc
Wine tasting in Italy
Photo credit: Udo Schröter
Photo credit: fox_kiyo
...on a school night.
Photo credit: SkyFireXII
Good food deserves good wine :-)
Photo credit: sk8geek
Photo credit: casey.marshall
Photo credit: slgckgc
Photo credit: niseag03
Photo credit: photosavvy
View more pictures about Wine bottle.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Wine
Click on an item to play that video:
- Club Torres - eWorkshop 15: Wine vocabulary. Speak like an expert
Mauricio Wiesenthal explains some of the most interesting wine terms.
- Wine Jargon | Grip
A grippy wine holds to the side of your mouth, so you can feel the structure in the wine. It is a positive descriptor of the wine and can be used to describe a wine ...
- Wine Jargon: Diurnal Shift
- Learning Croatian: Lesson 16 - Wine Terminology on the Island of Hvar
For all your Hvar needs...
- Wine Jargon | Varietally Correct
A varietally correct wine is one that is very true to its varietal characteristics. It is not over manipulated.
- Mulled wine Meaning
Video shows what mulled wine means. Red wine with spices (e.g. cinnamon sticks, cloves and ginger) served hot.. Mulled wine Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Wine Term: Sommelier - definition
- Wine Jargon: Stainless Steel
- James Mercer and Iron & Wine - New Slang (Recorded Live Featuring Iron & Wine)
Fighting In A Sack - 2004.
- This wine is too ROUGH (ruff) WINE Vocabulary in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Table wine Meaning
Video shows what table wine means. Wine that isn't fortified or sparkling.. A low-quality wine, suitable for drinking at mealtimes.. A grape wine containing at most ...
- Rice wine Meaning
Video shows what rice wine means. A sweet low alcohol wine brewed from steamed glutinous rice.. Rice wine Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Altar wine Meaning
Video shows what altar wine means. A particular type of wine produced for ritual consumption during the Roman Catholic Mass.. Altar wine Meaning. How to ...
- Apple wine Meaning
Video shows what apple wine means. alcoholic beverage made from apples; cider. Apple wine Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to ...
- Spirit of wine Meaning
Video shows what spirit of wine means. Aqua vitae prepared by distilling wine.. Brandy that has been repeatedly distilled.. Spirit of wine Meaning. How to ...
- Aperitif wine Meaning
Video shows what aperitif wine means. Grape wine, mixed with brandy or alcohol, with natural flavors (including herbs) and optionally with caramel for color, that ...
- San Carlos Art & Wine Festival - ATS Basket Dialect
An example of ATS Basket Dialect by Al-hambra Tribal Dance, 2014.
- Box wine Meaning
Video shows what box wine means. a type of wine that is sealed in a plastic bladder and packaged in a cardboard box. box wine synonyms: cask wine, goon.
- Retsina wine Meaning
Video shows what retsina wine means. Grape wine, containing not more than fourteen percent alcohol by volume, fermented or flavored with resin.. Retsina ...
- Drinking glass wine dream interpretation, Drinking glass wine Dream Meaning,
Kismet glass in a dream, good job, marriage, a spouse will be interpreted. A young girl, in a dream, a full glass of clean water or grout to see it good-natured, ...
- Pinot Noir: Wine Dictionary w/Lettie Teague
In this latest WSJ Wine Dictionary, Lettie Teague offers an in-depth tutorial on Pinot Noir and offers a few recommendations.
- White Wine-Riesling: Wine Dictionary w/ Lettie Teague
In this latest WSJ Wine Dictionary, Lettie Teague offers an in-depth tutorial on Riesling and offers a few recommendations.
- Sekon Sta - Body Language (Come Wine Riddim) "2016 Soca" (Trinidad)
- Club W Wine Description - 2014 Tierra Seca Red Blend
- Club W Wine Description - 2014 Super Cluster Carbonic Grenache
- White Wine-Chardonnay: Wine Dictionary w/ Lettie Teague
- Club W Wine Description - 2012 Big Beat Red Blend
- Club W Wine Description - 2013 Ville Basse Red Blend
- Club W Wine Description - 2014 Greensmith White Blend
- Club W Wine Description - 2014 The Independent Chenin Blanc
See also the pronunciation examples of Wine!
Quotes about Wine
With the first glass a man drinks wine, with the second glass the wine drinks the wine, with the third glass the wine drinks the man.
more quotes about wine...
Scrabble value of W4I1N1E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of WINE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Wine!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Wine to see it in context!