Winter appears in the following tongue twister:
- The ruddy widow really wants ripe watermelon and red roses when winter arrives.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb winter:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun winter
- Definition of the verb winter
- Phrases with Winter
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Winter
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Winter
- Photos about Winter
- Videos about Winter
- Sign language
- Quotes about Winter
- Scrabble value of W4I1N1T1E1R1
- Anagrams of WINTER
- Share this page
The word winter is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun winter
What does winter mean as a name of something?
Winter is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: winters
- the coldest season of the year; in the northern hemisphere it extends from the winter solstice to the vernal equinox
- lexical domain: Time - nouns denoting time and temporal relations
- synonym of winter: wintertime
- more generic terms: season / time of year = one of the natural periods into which the year is divided by the equinoxes and solstices or atmospheric conditions
Alternative definition of the noun winter
- Traditionally the fourth of the four seasons, typically regarded as being from December 21 to March 20 in continental regions of the Northern Hemisphere or the months of June, July and August in the Southern Hemisphere. It is the time when the sun is lowest in the sky, resulting in short days, and the time of year with the lowest atmospheric temperatures for the region.
Definition of the verb winter
What does winter mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: wintered | wintering | winters
- spend the winter
- example: We wintered on the Riviera
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Theme - being] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] My family always summered at the seashore
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonym of winter: overwinter
- more generic words: pass / spend = use up a period of time in a specific way
Winter is a bottlenose dolphin at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium in Clearwater, Florida, USA, widely known for having a prosthetic tail. She is the subject of the book Dolphin Tale, and the 2011 film of the same name, a dramatization of her story, and the sequel Dolphin Tale 2. Winter was found in the coastal waters of Florida in December 2005, caught in a crab trap, which resulted in the loss of her tail. She was then taken to Clearwater Marine Aquarium. The loss of her tail caused her to swim unnaturally with her tail moving side to side instead of up and down. As a result, she was fitted with a silicone and plastic tail that enabled her to swim normally. She has since become a highly popular attraction at the aquarium, which led to the film's making. She lives in her pool with another dolphin, Hope, who is the subject of the 2014 sequel to Dolphin Tale, Dolphin Tale 2.
- born in (10 years ago)
- Winter is a fictional character who is published by Wildstorm Productions. He first appeared in Stormwatch #1.
- created by Jim Lee
- Winter is a fictional character from the 2005 film Hellraiser: Deader.
There are other characters with in their name, like Ted Winter, Tim Winter, Ella Winter, Lady Winter, Suze Winter, Amara Winter, Bruno Winter, David Winter, Henry Winter, Larry Winter, Sarah Winter, Sonya Winter, Joseph Winter, Philip Winter, Barbara Winter, Lillian Winter, Mrs. de Winter, Old Man Winter, Winter Soldier and Maxim de Winter.
- "Winter" is a 1987 novel by Len Deighton, which follows the lives of a German family from 1899 to 1945. At the same time the novel provides an historical background to several of the characters in Deighton's nine novels about the British intelligence agent Bernard Samson, who grew up in the ruins of Berlin after World War II.
- also known as "Winter (MM to TR Promotion)"
- language: English Language
- genres: Fiction, Historical fiction
- subjects: History, Family, Espionage, Germany
- "Winter" is a 2000 young adult novel by John Marsden. Winter, the protagonist of the story, returns to the family estate she left at four when her parents died. She finds that everything is not as it seems when she visits her parents' graves, and she is determined out the answers.
- language: English Language
- genre: Young-adult fiction
- released in (16 years ago)
- "Winter" is a Malayalam slasher-horror-thriller film starring Jayaram, Bhavana released in the year 2009. It was directed by Dipu Karunakaran and produced by K. Radhakrishnan. The music is scored by Raj Krishnan.
- country: India
- language: Malayalam Language
- director: Deepu Karunakaran
- producer: Radhakrishnan
- written by Deepu Karunakaran
- based on a story by Deepu Karunakaran
- cinematography by Jayakrishna Gummadi
- edited by Arun Kumar Aravind
- music by Rajakrishnan
- genres: Horror, World cinema, Malayalam Cinema
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Winter" is a 2013 short documentary adventure drama film written and directed by Cristina Picchi.
- also known as Zima
- country: Russia
- languages: Russian Language, English Language
- producers: Tanya Petrik & Protsenko Guillaume
- written by Cristina Picchi
- cinematography by Saulius Lukosevicius
- edited by Cristina Picchi
- music by Henri D'Armancourt
- genres: Documentary film, Adventure Film, Drama
- released on
- award: - European Film Award for Best Short Film nomination for Cristina Picchi, Guillaume Protsenko, Tanya Petrik
- official website: cinetrain-project.com/the-movies/zima
- "Winter" is a 2008 short film directed by Nathaniel Dorsky.
- "Winter" is a Silly Symphonies animated Disney short film. It was released in 1930.
- "Winter" is a 1969 drama film directed by Marcel Hanoun.
- "Winter" is a 2011 short adventure comedy film written and directed by Alaric Rocha.
- country: United States of America
- producer: Alaric Rocha
- written by Alaric Rocha
- cinematography by Renato Velarde
- edited by Alaric Rocha
- genres: Adventure Film, Fantasy, Comedy
- released in (5 years ago)
- "Winter" is a 2001 Italian drama film written and directed by Nina di Majo.
- also known as LInverno
- country: Italy
- genre: Drama
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Winter" is a 2012 drama film directed by Jerry Collom.
- country: United States of America
- genre: Drama
- released on
"Winter" is a video game.
- mode: Single-player video game
- developer: n-Space
- genre: Survival horror
- "Winter" is a song by American singer-songwriter and musician Tori Amos, first released in 1992. The song was written about Amos' relationship with her father, who is a minister.
- music and lyrics by Tori Amos
- "Winter" is a song by English rock and roll band the Rolling Stones featured on their 1973 album Goats Head Soup.
- "Winter" is a song by rock band U2. The track was originally planned to be included on the band's 2009 album No Line on the Horizon, but it was cut at the end of the recording sessions as it did not fit the album's theme. The song does appear on the accompanying film Linear. "Winter" was written for the 2009 war film Brothers at the request of director Jim Sheridan, and it plays over the closing credits. Several different versions of the song have been recorded, including an uptempo rock arrangement on Linear and a slower acoustic version in Brothers. The song was nominated for a Golden Globe award.
- "Winter" is a 2010 single from Unheilig. There are two versions, a standard two-track single and a limited edition disc with a poster included. It is the ninth single to be released from Unheilig.
- also known as Winterland
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Winter" is the second EP released by Jon Foreman, frontman of the San Diego rock band Switchfoot. The EP was released on Tuesday, January 15, 2008, as either a digital download or as a physical copy packaged with the Fall EP in a double-disc set.
- genre: Acoustic music
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Winter" is a 2011 single by TVXQ.
- "Winter" is the 19th studio album by the electric folk band Steeleye Span. So far it is the second of three studio albums made by a line-up consisting of Maddy Prior, Peter Knight, Rick Kemp, Liam Genockey and Ken Nicol. This is their first Christmas album. Most of the songs on the album are traditional folk songs, but it also includes three new pieces expressing neo-pagan views on the Winter season. It also includes a negro spiritual, "Blow Your Trumpet Gabriel", the first time the band had drawn from that particular musical genre.
- genre: Electric folk
- released in (12 years ago)
- "Winter" is a composition.
- "winter" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- also known as in this winter
- music and lyrics by Yuki Kajiura
- "Winter" is a musical single of Tori Amos.
- released on (23 years ago)
- "Winter" is a composition.
- also known as Winter (remix by Robert Armani), Winter (remix by Sandro Galli)
- music by Dave Clarke
- "Winter" is a musical single of Darren Tate.
- released on (11 years ago)
- Winter is a freelance software programmer and consultant. Winter was previously known by the name John Winter Smith, but reported having legally changed his name to Winter in 2006. He is best known for his goal to visit every Starbucks location in the world, visiting as many as 29 locations in one day.
- born on (43 years ago) in Chicago
- Winter a.k.a. Chris Northrop: Christopher Scott "Chris" Northrop is an American actor known for portrayals of offbeat, eccentric characters such as Emo in Wildlife and euro-chic fashion magazine staffer Sven on ABC's hit TV show Ugly Betty. Throughout the third season of the series Northrop regularly appeared as Sven—a character best known for his relationship with fellow MODE staffer Amanda Tanen, played by Becki Newton, which originally surfaced in episode #316 titled Things Fall Apart.
- read more about Chris Northrop (actor)
- Winter is an American death/doom band from New York. They take their name from the Amebix song of the same name. The band performed at the 2011 Roadburn Festival in the Netherlands.
- Winter were an Irish progressive rock / metal band, who received critical acclaim for their live performances in the 1980s and 1990s. They released a debut EP titled Across The Circle's Edge which in both vinyl format and in CD format.
- genre: Progressive rock
- album: "Across the Circle's Edge"
There are other groups with in their name, like In Winter, In-Winter, Winter Axe, Lady Winter, Paul Winter, Winter Fuel, Winter Haze, Winter Moon, Winter Rose, Winter Soul, Zulu Winter, Black Winter, Raven Winter, Winter Grief, Winter Moods, Winter sport, Winter Tales, Winter's Eve, A Winter Lost and Arcane Winter.
- Winter is a village in Sawyer County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 233 at the 2010 census. The village is within the Town of Winter.
- Winter is a town in Sawyer County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 969 at the 2000 census. The Village of Winter is located within the town, but not a part of it. The unincorporated community of Hay Stack Corner is also located in the town.
There are other places with in their name, like Winter Hill, Winter Park, Winter road, Winter Creek, Winter Haven, Winter House, Winter Harbor, Winter Island, Winter Palace, Winter Gardens, Winter Harbour, Winter Springs, Winter Quarters, Winter Garden Theatre, Edison and Ford Winter Estates, Lake Placid Winter Olympic Museum, Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens and Heritage Carousel & Winter Wonderland Carousel.
- Winter is the coldest season of the year in polar climates and temperate climates, between autumn and spring. Winter is caused by the axis of the Earth in that hemisphere being oriented away from the Sun. Different cultures define different dates as the start of winter, and some use a definition based on weather. When it is winter in the Northern Hemisphere it is summer in the Southern Hemisphere, and vice versa. In many regions, winter is associated with snow and freezing temperatures. The moment of winter solstice is when the sun's elevation with respect to the North Pole is at its most negative value. The earliest sunset and latest sunrise dates outside the polar regions differ from the date of the winter solstice, however, and these depend on latitude, due to the variation in the solar day throughout the year caused by the Earth's elliptical orbit.
- Winter is an Australian mystery-drama-thriller television series set to screen on the Seven Network in 2015. It is a spin-off of the 2014 telemovie The Killing Field which starred Rebecca Gibney as Detective Sergeant Eve Winter with Peter O'Brien, Chloe Boreham and Liam McIntyre.
- Winter is the title of the most famous poem by Mehdi Akhavan Sales the contemporary Iranian poet which was published in 1956. It was composed in Persian and has been translated into other languages.The poem has two layers: on the surface, the speaker is describing the chilly season, but more profoundly he is depicting the despair originating from political suppression in Iran.
- Winter: The 1913 Winter Egg is one of a series of fifty-two Russian jewelled Easter eggs and was designed by Alma Pihl, a designer who worked for Russian jeweler Peter Carl Fabergé. The Tsar Nicholas II had a standing order of two easter eggs every year, one for his mother, and one for his wife. The Winter Egg was an Easter gift for his mother, Tsarina Maria Feodorovna. The price in 1913 was 24,700 rubles, the most expensive Easter egg ever made. The egg sold for US$9.6 million in an auction at Christie's in New York City in 2002.
- Winter is the second release by the crust punk band Amebix, released during their original run. It was released in 1983 on Spiderleg Records, with "Beginning of the End" as the B-side.
Phrases with Winter
Phrases starting with the word Winter:
- Winter Rat
- winter urn
- Winter Coat
- winter fern
- Winter Moth
- Winter Rape
- winter rose
- Winter Worm
- winter wren
- Winter Break
- winter cress
- winter hazel
- winter heath
- winter melon
- Winter Skate
Phrases ending with the word Winter:
View more phrases with the word Winter in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Winter
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Samuel Griswold Goodrich
Winter means that the myriad races of annual weeds and plants are dead, to revive again no more; that myriads of blossoms have faded forever from the...
Winter means that the minstrelsy of the birds is gone, and that the field and forest, so lately cheered by a thousand forms and sounds of happy...
Harper's Magazine (1858)
by Henry Mills Alden, Lee Foster Hartman, Frederick Lewis Allen, Thomas Bucklin Wells
laws ; but winter is a character by itself — a wondrous individuality in look, tone, manner. It is no conformist, but establishes its own rule and originates its own fashion, and therefore we love it : for, while the other seasons are neat, trim, civilized ...
by Henry Mills Alden
laws; but winter is a character by itself—a wondrous individuality in look, tone, manner. It is no conformist, but establishes its own rule and originates its own fashion, and therefore we love it: for, while the other seasons are neat, trim, civilized ...
Your Foundation for Successful Leadership by John C. Maxwell
For unsuccessful people winter is a time of hibernation, drudgery, and low expectations. For successful people winter is a time of beginnings. This is the time for vision and dreams. It is a time of anticipation. Goals are set and plans are made ...
Bible Studies to Nurture the Creative Spirit Within by Jody Thomae
Simply put: winter is the time of dying to our old self so the new self can emerge ( Col 3:1–10). And while simply put, it is...
The danger of winter is that in our grief over the loss and death of what we hold dear, we forget the ...
The Newcastle Magazine (1827)
Winter is a season which 'is absolutely necessary to the health of the constitution, and of the earth, and the earth's fruits.
The Living Age ... (1852)
A Paris winter is a vile compound of cold, slush, damp, fog, and foul smells. A Brussels one is all the preceding, plus sleet and storm. A German winter is an affair of stoves, double windows, for mantles, and foot-warmers, frozen fountains, and ...
by Maria Rodale
Winter is a time of stark beauty and contrasts. The chill, contrasted with the warmth; the crunch of snow; the smooth, hot comfort of a cup of tea; the crisp night air, steam erupting from our mouths and noses like smoke; cheeks burned from a day ...
The Book of Ceremonies (2011)
A Native Way of Honoring and Living the Sacred by Gabriel Horn
“Winter is a time to think about our own Great Change,” the old ones told the boy. “It will come, in its own time, sooner than we want. It's a time to reflect on our goodness, and to direct our prayers in ceremony at this time of power in the sacred ...
Discerning Your Season (2004)
by Anya Miller Hall
To some, winter is a relief from the hot summer weather. It is a time to relax and unwind from the business of summer.
For many, winter is the season to ski, snowboard or ice skate.
by Christoph Christian Sturm
Winter is an Emblem of Life. During the winter ...
Oversown into existing pastures either alone or in mixtures with annual ryegrass or legumes to extend the season of growth of the pasture into the autumn and winter. 5. Emergency forage when stands or new sowings of perennial forage fail.
Mongolian English Dictionary (2013)
winter, Өвлийн ордон Winter Palace(St. Petersburg), ѳвлийн ѳвгѳн аавFather Winter (figure presiding at ...
by Michael T. Murray, Joseph Pizzorno
NUTRITIONAL HIGHLIGHTS Winter squash, like other richly colored vegetables, are excellent sources of carotenes—the richer the color, the richer ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Winter
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Winter
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: onno4647
Photo credit: Tristan Chambers
'Tis the season..
Photo credit: Mike Knell
Wenceslaus Hollar 1643
Photo credit: bansidhe
Photo credit: Aine D
Photo credit: Henry Richter
Photo credit: eraserandcrowbar
Photo credit: SandsteinPixel
Photo credit: paimei01
off Lyon Street, Queensbury
Photo credit: Tim Green aka atoach
Photo credit: The Cabin On The Road
Photo credit: onno4647
Photo credit: Torekhan Sarmanov
Photo credit: Torekhan Sarmanov
Photo credit: Edna Winti
Winter in Lodz.
Photo credit: Kamil Porembiński
- Winter ..
Photo credit: YJ-Lee
- Winter skeleton
Hohes Venn (Haute Fagne) , Belgium, moor in winter
Photo credit: Happy! - Andrea
- Winter Color
Photo credit: katerha
- Winter series
Photo credit: Nick Kenrick..
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Winter
Click on an item to play that video:
- Winter Vocabulary - Learn English for free ( English Vocabulary Lesson)
Winter Vocabulary - Learn English for free ( English Vocabulary Lesson) While it's only winter for half the world, and even then, it doesn't snow everywhere, there ...
- Learn English - English Winter Vocabulary
- Dialect - Sitting in the Sun (Derrick Carter's Winter Crazy Dub Reprise)
Distance Music - 1998...
- Winter Vocabulary in English
- English Vocabulary - Winter Clothing
- Learn English Winter Vocabulary
- Winter tyre definition
What is a winter tyre (winter tire, snow tire) ? Rebecca Jackson, professional race car driver will teach you the basics of what a winter tyre is. Snow or winter tires ...
- Winter clothing vocabulary
This video provided a visual and verbal vocabulary review of winter clothing for an ESL student audience.
- Winter Vocabulary
- Timbre- Bringing Meaning To Winter
- Winter Fashion and Cool Slang -- The Rundown Ep. 25
Get your wardrobe ready for winter with Lily and Sarah in today's Rundown of Everything That Really Matters! The girls talk about their favorite winter fashions ...
- Dan Winter - Fractality - Constructive Interference - Definition of Life and Self Organization
- Yes Darling, No Darling (Incomplete) - Girl From Winter Jargon
Yes Darling, No Darling (incomplete) - Girl From Winter Jargon...
- Winter snow storm explanation
Winter snow storm explanation of impact on the United States.
- "Winter Secrets" Series - Aztec Healing Clay Hair Mask | Moisture & Definition Enhancer
This is the first video of the 'Winter Secrets' Series, giving you a step by step description on how to make the Aztec Healing Clay Hair Mask that helps to enhance ...
- Winter Weather Definitions and Terminology
This video explains different winter weather definitions, terminology, and alerts issued by the NWS. --------------------------------- National Weather Service Weather ...
- The Apple - Girl From Winter Jargon
- Symbolic Meaning of Winter by Avia Venefica of Whats-Your-Sign.com
Avia talks about symbolic meaning of winter, and some lessons Mother Nature has to offer during this frosty time of year.
- Winter rat Meaning
Video shows what winter rat means. An old, unattractive automobile, purchased for little money, to be driven during brutal Great Lakes winters while the owner's ...
- Winter Vocabulary Unit Product Preview
- Language and Rhetoric at Appomattox: Gettysburg Winter Lecture
Ranger Troy Harman discusses "Famous Utterances on the Road to Appomattox: The Importance of Language and Rhetoric in the War's Final Hours" at the ...
- OLHA COMO ELE VAI | ESL One Winter Cup America #3
- How to Say the Names of Winter Olympic Sports - (ESL) American Pronunciation
- Winter Fun | Past Tense | ESL Classics - songs for learning English
FREE Winter Fun ibook now available on iTunes.
- Winter Language School
- Goon Squad vs Winter ESL Na Go4Heroes #16
A second Round of 8 match, this time between Goon Squad and Winter.
- MLP FiM - Winter Wrap Up - Rainbow Dash Solo - Multi Language
0:00 English 0:23 Turkish 0:44 Russian 1:06 Latino 1:26 Dutch 1:47 Italian 2:09 Swedish 2:30 Danish 2:52 Norwegian 3:13 Polish 3:34 French 3:55 Romanian ...
- ESL Pro League Winter 2014/15 Finals: GuardiaN: "LCS-like league might help"
- 2011 New Century Education Winter ESL Camp at Hefei
- MEGHA GARG / VERB by PALLAVI SINGHEE / SONAAKSHI RAAJ - LAKME FASHION WEEK WINTER/FESTIVE 2014
See also the pronunciation examples of Winter!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Walking in a Winter Wonderland American Sign Language
Second year of ASL in high school.
- WINTER: American Sign Language for the sign WINTER
WINTER: American Sign Language for the sign WINTER. To start babies may not make the same handshape, but will make a motion in the same body space.
- WINTER | ASL - American Sign Language
- Winter Sign Language Vocabulary
Vocabulary that are related to winter are signed.
- It's Winter Time! (sign language fingerplay for children)
NEXT PRE-K VIDEO IN SERIES...
Quotes about Winter
with a pair
i greet my first winter
that's how i greeted
my first winter
or rather that's how
my first winter
(tokyo,1988) (John Tiong Chunghoo)
more quotes about winter...
Scrabble value of W4I1N1T1E1R1
The value of this 6-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of WINTER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Winter!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Winter to see it in context!