Woman appears in the following tongue twisters:
- Washington's wash woman washed Washington's wash while Washington's wife went west.
- Who washed Washington's white woolen underwear when Washington's washer-woman went west?
Woman appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Turn, woman, in a mown rut.
- Yawn, woman, in a mown way.
- Woman maps yam snot and DNA. Tons may spam Nam. Ow!
Usage statistics for the noun woman:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun woman
- Definition of the verb woman
- Phrases with Woman
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Woman
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Woman
- Usage statistics about woman
- Photos about Woman
- Video language resources about Woman
- Sign language
- Quotes about Woman
- Scrabble value of W4O1M3A1N1
- Share this page
Fun fact! A paraphenalia was originally all of a woman’s possessions that did not automatically become her husband’s property after marriage.
Fun fact! The importance of punctuation: "Woman, without her man, is nothing." / "Woman: Without her, man is nothing."
Fun fact! The only word beginning with X that William Shakespeare used was Xanthippe, the name of Socrates' wife, which Shakespeare used as a byword for a nagging, bad tempered woman.
Woman is sometimes a misspelling of women.
The word woman is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun woman
What does woman mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: women
- an adult female person (as opposed to a man)
- example: the woman kept house while the man hunted
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of woman: adult female
- antonym of woman: man
- more generic terms: adult / grownup = a fully developed person from maturity onward; female / female person = a person who belongs to the sex that can have babies
- more specific terms:
- white woman = a woman who is White
- amazon / virago = a large strong and aggressive woman
- maenad = a woman participant in the orgiastic rites of Dionysus
- bachelor girl / bachelorette = a young unmarried woman who lives alone
- baggage = a worthless or immoral woman
- ball-breaker / ball-buster = a demanding woman who destroys men's confidence
- bar girl / B-girl = a woman employed by a bar to act as a companion to men customers
- bluestocking / bas bleu = a woman having literary or intellectual interests
- maid of honor / bridesmaid = an unmarried woman who attends the bride at a wedding
- broad = slang term for a woman
- cat = a spiteful woman gossip
- Cinderella = a woman whose merits were not been recognized but who then achieves sudden success and recognition
- prickteaser / coquette / vamper / flirt / tease / minx / vamp = a seductive woman who uses her sex appeal to exploit men
- gentlewoman / ma'am / madam / dame / lady = a woman of refinement
- debutante / deb = a young woman making her debut into society
- grass widow / divorcee = a divorced woman or a woman who is separated from her husband
- ex-wife / ex = a woman who was formerly a particular man's wife
- dominatrix = a dominating woman
- donna = an Italian woman of rank
- femme fatale / enchantress / temptress / Delilah / siren = a woman who is considered to be dangerously seductive
- eyeful = a strikingly beautiful woman
- geisha girl / geisha = a Japanese woman trained to entertain men with conversation and singing and dancing
- young woman / young lady / fille / missy / girl / miss = a young female
- girl = a friendly informal reference to a grown woman
- lady friend / girlfriend / girl = a girl or young woman with whom a man is romantically involved
- girlfriend = any female friend
- gold digger = a woman who associates with or marries a rich man in order to get valuables from him through gifts or a divorce settlement
- gravida = a pregnant woman
- heroine = a woman possessing heroic qualities or a woman who has performed heroic deeds
- inamorata = a woman with whom you are in love or have an intimate relationship
- jezebel = a shameless impudent scheming woman
- jilt = a woman who jilts a lover
- lady = a polite name for any woman
- maenad = an unnaturally frenzied or distraught woman
- materfamilias / matriarch = a female head of a family or tribe
- matriarch = a feisty older woman with a big bosom
- matron = a woman in charge of nursing in a medical institution
- mestiza = a woman of mixed racial ancestry
- fancy woman / kept woman / mistress = an adulterous woman
- mother figure = a woman who evokes the feelings usually reserved for a mother
- nursemaid / nanny / nurse = a woman who is the custodian of children
- nullipara = a woman who has never give birth to a child
- houri / nymph = a voluptuously beautiful young woman
- nymphet = a sexually attractive young woman
- old woman = a woman who is old
- woman of the street / lady of pleasure / sporting lady / working girl / fancy woman / prostitute / cocotte / cyprian / harlot / whore / bawd / tart = a woman who engages in sexual intercourse for money
- shiksa / shikse = a derogatory term used by Jews to refer to non-Jewish women
- sweetheart / knockout / ravisher / mantrap / smasher / stunner / beauty / looker / peach / dish / lulu = a very attractive or seductive looking woman
- sylph = a slender graceful young woman
- unmarried woman = a woman who is not married
- vestal = a chaste woman
- Wac = a member of the Women's Army Corps
- Wave = a member of the women's reserve of the United States Navy
- widow woman / widow = a woman whose husband is dead especially one who has not remarried
- married woman / wife = a married woman
- wonder woman = a woman who can be a successful wife and have a professional career at the same time
- instance: Eve = Adam's wife in Judeo-Christian mythology: the first woman and mother of the human race
- part: adult female body / woman's body = the body of an adult woman
- a female person who plays a significant role (wife or mistress or girlfriend) in the life of a particular man
- a human female employed to do housework
- women as a class
- example: woman is the glory of creation
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of woman: fair sex / womanhood
- more generic terms: class / social class / socio-economic class / stratum = people having the same social, economic, or educational status
- member of: womankind = women as distinguished from men
Alternative definition of the noun woman
- An adult female human.
- A wife (sometimes a fiance or girlfriend)
Definition of the verb woman
What does woman mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: womaned | womaning | womans
- To man with female labor.
Who is Woman?
Woman a.k.a. Nancy Benoit: Nancy Daus was a wrestler.
- read more about Nancy Benoit
- Woman is a fictional film character.
- Woman is a fictional character from the 2011 film Night Fishing.
- Woman is a fictional character in the 2014 documentary film N: The Madness of Reason.
- Woman is a fictional character from the 2009 film Accident.
- Woman is a fictional character from the 2012 film 10th Day.
- Woman is a fictional character from the 2009 film The Road.
- Woman is a fictional character from the 2012 film Fifty Shades of Blue.
- Woman is a fictional character from the 2012 film Sea Pavilion.
- Woman is a fictional character from the 2012 film Modus Anomali.
- Woman is fictional character from the 2009 film Night Train.
- Woman is a fictional character from the 1997 film Sicily.
- Woman is a fictional character from the 1958 film Dom.
- Woman is a fictional character from the 2011 film Birthday.
- Woman is a fictional character from the 2007 film Chaurahen.
- Woman is a fictional character from the 2011 film Michael.
There are other characters with in their name, like A Woman, Woman 2, Fat woman, Gay Woman, Old Woman, Bank woman, City Woman, Fair Woman, Lone Woman, Rich Woman, This Woman, Town Woman, Wise Woman, Woman Poet, Blind Woman, Devil Woman, First Woman, Happy Woman, Leech Woman.
- "Woman" is a song written and performed by John Lennon from his 1980 album Double Fantasy. Lennon wrote it as an ode to his wife Yoko Ono, and to all women. The track begins with Lennon whispering, "For the other half of the sky ...", a paraphrase of a Chinese proverb, once used by Mao Zedong.
- music and lyrics by John Lennon
- "Woman" is a song by Australian rock band Wolfmother, featured on their 2005 debut studio album Wolfmother. It was released as the band's fourth single in Australia on 17 June 2006, and later in the United Kingdom on 17 July. It became a massive hit at rock radio during the summer of 2006 in the United States, achieving peaks of number 7 on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart and number 10 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart. "Woman" won the award for Best Hard Rock Performance at the 49th Annual Grammy Awards in 2007.
- "Woman" is the debut studio album by Canadian/Danish R&B duo Rhye. The album was released worldwide on March 1, 2013 by Polydor Records, except in North America where it was released on March 5 through Loma Vista Recordings, Innovative Leisure, and Republic Records. The album's release followed the singles "Open" and "The Fall", both of which appear on the album.
- "Woman" is a 1966 single by Peter and Gordon, written by Paul McCartney under a pseudonym.
- "Woman" is a musical album of Lucie Bílá.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Woman" is the first solo album by British musician Mike McGear, brother of former-Beatle Paul McCartney, who also co-wrote a song, but is credited as a "friend". Roger McGough produced and co-wrote some songs with McGear.
- genre: Rock music
- "Woman" is a studio album by Nancy Sinatra, released in 1973.
- genre: Pop music
- released in (42 years ago)
- "Woman" is an album by Burt Bacharach in collaboration with the Houston Symphony Orchestra that was released in 1979 on A&M Records. It is a recording of a live, four hour recording session that took place on November 2, 1978 at Jones Hall in Houston, Texas. The project was originally conceived by Bacharach and Michael Woolcock. Guest vocalists included Carly Simon on the song "I Live In The Woods", Libby Titus on the song "Riverboat" and Sally Stevens on the song "There Is Time".
- released in (36 years ago)
- "Woman", pubblicato nel 2002 è il dodicesimo album della cantante Spagna, il primo inciso per un'altra etichetta dopo la chiusura del contratto con la Sony Music.
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Woman" is a musical single of Neneh Cherry.
- released in (19 years ago)
- Woman is a tv program.
- begun on and completed on
- created by Nippon TV
- regular cast:
- genre: Drama
- official website: www.ntv.co.jp/woman2013
- "Woman" a.k.a. "Aurat" is a 1967 Hindi movie produced and directed by S. S. Balan and S. S. Vasan. The film stars Padmini, Pran, Rajesh Khanna, Feroz Khan, Kanhaiyalal, David, O. P. Ralhan, Nazima, Lalita Pawar and Leela Chitnis. The films music is by Ravi.The film is totally revolving around character of Parvati's life played by Padmini. The film deals with how Parvati, who is in true love with character played by Feroz Khan, is forced by circumstances to marry Manoharilal against wishes of her brother and later is tested by life to show whether after marriage to Manoharilal, she is truly affectionate to Manoharilal or is she having affair with the her ex-boyfriend.
- read more about Aurat
- "Woman" is a 1918 silent drama and war film written by Charles E. Whittaker and directed by Maurice Tourneur.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Maurice Tourneur
- art direction by Ben Carré & John Wenger
- written by Charles E. Whittaker
- Warren Cook as The Man
- Florence Billings as The Woman
- Ethel Hallor as Eve
- Henry West as Adam
- Flora Revalles as Messalina
- Paul Clerget as Claudius
- Diana Allen as Heloïse
- E.L. Fernandez as Pierre Abélard
- Gloria Goodwin as Cyrene
- Chester Barnett as The Fisherman
- Faire Binney as Civil War Girl
- Warner Richmond as Civil War Officer
- Lyn Donelson
- Rose Rolanda
- Frank Lackteen
- cinematography by John van den Broek & René Guissart
- music by Hugo Riesenfeld
- genres: War film, Silent film, Drama
- released on (96 years ago)
- "Woman" is a 1968 three-part South Korean film directed by Kim Ki-young, Jung Jin-woo and Yu Hyun-mok. The film was based on ideas of Kim Ki-young's wife, Kim Yu-bong, and Kim directed the last third.
- "Woman" a.k.a. "Onna" is a 1948 drama film written and directed by Keisuke Kinoshita.
- read more about Onna
- "Woman" a.k.a. "Mujer" is a 1947 Mexican film. It was directed by Chano Urueta.
- read more about Mujer
- "Woman" is a 1986 film directed by B.R. Ishara.
- "Woman" is a 2009 experimental film directed by Nina Lassila.
- Woman a.k.a. Female is the sex of an organism, or a part of an organism, which produces ova. The ova are defined as the larger gametes in a heterogamous reproduction system, while the smaller, usually motile gamete, the spermatozoon, is produced by the male. A female individual cannot reproduce sexually without access to the gametes of a male. Some organisms can reproduce both sexually and asexually.
- read more about Female
- Woman: A woman is a female human. The term woman is usually reserved for an adult, with the term girl being the usual term for a female child or adolescent. However, the term woman is also sometimes used to identify a female human, regardless of age, as in phrases such as "women's rights". "Woman" may also refer to a person's gender instead of their sex. Women are typically capable of giving birth from puberty until menopause, although some sterile, intersex and/or transgender women cannot. Throughout history women have assumed or been assigned various social roles.
- also known as Đàn bà, Hatun
- Woman is an English weekly magazine launched in 1937. Its target audience is for 30- and 40-year old women. It encompasses a mix of celebrity gossip and TV news, real-life stories, and fashion and beauty tips. Its lifestyle section offers ideas on homes, interiors and food, product reviews and advice.
- official website: www.goodtoknow.co.uk/woman
- Woman or Woman: Incorporating the Woman's Budget was a woman's magazine published in Sydney, Australia by Sungravure. It operated from 1934 to 1954. Issues originally cost three pence each.
Phrases with Woman
Phrases starting with the word Woman:
Phrases ending with the word Woman:
- gay woman
- old woman
- kept woman
- fancy woman
- First Woman
- loose woman
- Other Woman
- point woman
- stunt woman
- white woman
- widow woman
- young woman
- bionic woman
- honest woman
- Little Woman
- Muscle Woman
View more phrases with the word Woman in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Woman
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Lone Hand (1908)
A beautiful woman is the Paradise of the eyes, the Hell of the soul, and the Purgatory of the purse.—Anon.
A virtuous woman is the greatest blessing to, and most valuable part of the human species; but women are uot treated as...
Engendering the Subject (1991)
Gender and Self-Representation in Contemporary Women's Fiction by Sally Robinson
To become Woman means to place oneself in a position that is sanctioned by, and guarantees, masculinist structures of...
Answering at Once the Purposes of Rhyming, Spelling, and Pronouncing. On a Plan Not Hitherto Attempted ... To which is Prefixed a Copious Introduction to the Various Uses of the Work ... and for the Purposes of Poetry is Added an Index of Allowable Rhymes by John Walker
A woman that commits adultery, f. The act of going out; departure, s. A returning or going back, s. To begin violence, v. a. To turn from the subjea, v. n. A female tiger, f. An entrance, s. A meeting ; combat; shock, f.
by Henry Watson Fowler
(WOMAN FEMININE DESIGNATIONS tival use, we Bay so-A-so is female, meaning that it is of or for the female sex. Beyond that point as an adjective female ha« not gone ; feminine, on the other hand, is not a noun that has gone part ...
Similes Dictionary (2013)
by Elyse Sommer
A woman is like a salad: much depends on the dressing —Anon There's also a saying, “clothes make the man, ” so this simile need not be limited to one sex. A woman moved is like a fountain troubled, muddy, ill-seeming, thick, bereft of beauty ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Woman
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about woman
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the noun woman:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun woman:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun woman and its most common antonym:
Photos about Woman
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: pedrosimoes7
Photo credit: Albert Dobrin
Photo credit: Travelling Imageman
Photo credit: Seabamirum
A Women Monument in Palencia
Photo credit: Raúl Ochoa
Photo credit: QuinnDombrowski
- Medieval woman
Photo credit: hans s
- Woman outside
Photo credit: josehernandez84
- Woman statue
Photo credit: Cost3l
- Street photography woman
Street photography woman, Chicago.
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Woman caballero
Photo credit: abogada samoana
- Marble woman
Photo credit: Valerie Everett
- Woman walking woods
Photo credit: Vistas Photography
- Woman portrait
Photo credit: pedrosimoes7
- Woman in window
Photo credit: Beshef
- Hispanic Woman
A woman wearing hoop earrings enjoys an outdoor concert.
Photo credit: Chris Hunkeler
- Bulgarian Woman
An old woman standing in a residential street in a village in southern Bulgaria
Photo credit: theresa_knott
- Woman's portrait
Photo credit: josehernandez84
- Woman shape
Photo credit: Jacobo Garcia
View more pictures about Pretty Woman.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Woman
Click on an item to play that video:
- Woman Whispers to Jeremy the Meaning of Sexual Contact | The Jeremy Kyle Show
- The Definition of a Conservative Woman
Scottie Nell Hughes introduces herself.
- What is a definition of a pious woman
Join us on the Facebook...
- Tannersville woman discovers true meaning of beauty
- Woman expresses true meaning of unconditional love
- Wonder Woman Meaning
Video shows what Wonder Woman means. A DC Comics superheroine.. Wonder Woman Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
- The Three Century Woman Vocabulary
Watch the video presentation of the vocabulary for The Three Century Woman by Richard Peck and fill in the chart of your homework. Be ready to work with ...
- Loose woman Meaning
Video shows what loose woman means. A sexually promiscuous woman, a prostitute.. Loose woman Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Katrina Reflections: Gulfport woman found new meaning in life after storm
Ten years after Hurricane Katrina, Trahera Neely has changed her perspective of the storm.
- Woman runs on court at Lakers-Nuggets Game + Explanation (HD)
Crazy lady runs on the court. Craig Sager explains.
- RC BLAKES,JR' Definition of a Powerful Woman
Excerpt from the 10 Habits of a powerful woman, a women's empowerment message.
- Explanation from an ATHEIST woman about the civilized and the barbaric (Islam vs The World)
A real woman speaks fearless against the Islam.
- Biblical Definition of a Virtuous Woman
- What is the Definition of a Strong Woman
Clip from the Diary of a Tired Black Man.
- BODY LANGUAGE of a man or woman with their hands on hips - Scott Sylvan Bell
The body language of a man or woman with their hands on the hips may have a few meanings or ways to be interpreted. Base lining the person the first reason ...
- Mother Helps Woman Give Birth Despite Language Barrier
Woman gives birth at a bus stop with the help of a complete stranger.
- The Manslater Woman Language Translator
- Woman claims language barrier delayed 911 help
- Language And Woman's Place
Language And Woman's Place. By Robin Tolmach Lakoff, Mary Bucholtz. The 1975 publication of Robin Tolmach Lakoff's Lang...
See also the pronunciation examples of Woman!
Click on an item to play that video:
- A Deaf Woman Adopts A Deaf Dog Who Knows Sign Language.
- Sri-lanka woman difficult to culture sign language
- Wikisigns org Guyana Sign Language woman
Visit us in...
- Aretha Franklin "Natural Woman" in Sign Language
Aretha Franklin "Natural Woman" performed in Sign Language.
- Deaf Woman Adopts Deaf Dog Who Knows Sign Language In a perfect Match!
Quotes about Woman
It is not the intelligent woman v. the ignorant woman; nor the white woman v. the black, the brown, and the red, it is not even the cause of woman v. man. Nay, tis woman's strongest vindication for speaking that the world needs to hear her voice. (Anna Julia Cooper)
more quotes about woman...
Scrabble value of W4O1M3A1N1
The value of this 5-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Woman to see it in context!