Yacht appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- Yacht notes radar set on th' cay.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun yacht
- Definition of the verb yacht
- Phrases with Yacht
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Yacht
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Yacht
- Photos about Yacht
- Video language resources about Yacht
- Quotes about Yacht
- Scrabble value of Y4A1C3H4T1
- Anagrams of YACHT
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun yacht
What does yacht mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: yachts
- an expensive vessel propelled by sail or power and used for cruising or racing
Alternative definition of the noun yacht
- A slick and light ship for making pleasure trips or racing on water, having sails but often motor-powered. At times used as a residence offshore on a dock.
- Any vessel used for private, noncommercial purposes.
Specialised definition of the noun yacht
Glossary of sports
a sailing boat, often one that has living quarters and is used for cruising or racing (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
originally a term for a fast merchant ship or sail boat which were used to chase smuggler's boats; today the term refers to an elegant, fast, larger boat equipped with a cabin and used for sport competitions and recreational boating (sometimes also a smaller luxury boat). Depending on the means for propulsion one differentiates between motor yachts which are driven by a diesel motor, and sailing yacht, large ocean-going sailboats which can be used for overseas and coastal tours (ocean yachts) as well as for sailing regattas. The sailing yacht has a covered hull, a forward-running bow, a water-unloading stern, and a large sail area. Depending on the type of understructure sailing yachts can be further differentiated into keel yachts (with fixed ballast keel), center-board yachts (with a retractable center-board), and kell-center-board yachts (with ballast kell and retractable center-board). (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
a sailing boat, or a boat used for pleasure and sport (2008. Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. Third edition. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
a large luxurious boat with a motor (2008. Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. Third edition. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb yacht
What does yacht mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: yachted | yachting | yachts
- travel in a yacht
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] He skated Penny | Tom jumped the horse [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Adjective] Bill rolled the drawer open | He rode her seasick | He skated Penny exhausted | Tom walked the dog exhausted [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] to / into [Oblique, state] Bill rolled the drawer to an open position | He rode her to sickness | He skated Penny to exhaustion | Tom walked the dog to exhaustion [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Path Preposition] [Location] He skated Penny around the rink | He waltzed her across the floor [Theme - being] [Verb] Claire skated | The ball rolled | They waltzed [Theme - being] [Verb] [Oblique] [Adjective] Claire skated her skates blades blunt [Theme - being] [Verb] [Oblique 1] to / into [Oblique 2, state] Claire skated her skates blades to shreds | She waltzed herself to sickness | We walked ourselves into a state of exhaustion [Theme - being] [Verb] [Path Preposition] [Location] Claire skated along the canal
Verbs of Motion (with the same syntax): balloon, boat, bobsled, bus, cab, caravan, chariot, coach, dogsled, ferry, gondola, helicopter, jeep, jet, moped, motor, parachute, punt, rickshaw, rocket, sledge, sleigh, taxi, tram, trolley.
- domain: navigation / pilotage / piloting
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- more generic word: boat = ride in a boat on water
Yacht is a musical group.
- genres: Synthpop, Alternative rock, Dance-punk, Electropop
- albums: "I Believe in You. Your Magic Is Real", "See Mystery Lights", "Shangri-La", "Super Warren MMIV", "Mega"
- official website: www.teamyacht.com
Who is Yacht?
YACHT a.k.a. Jona Bechtolt is an electronic musician and multimedia artist based in Portland, Oregon, United States. He is a former member of The Badger King and The Blow, and has released solo records under the name Yacht since 2003. Nearly all of his recordings have been distributed by both Marriage Records and States Rights Records.
- read more about Jona Bechtolt
- Yacht is a drinking establishment.
- part of United Kingdom
- Yacht is a drinking establishment.
- part of United Kingdom
- Yacht: A yacht is a recreational boat or ship. The term originated from the Dutch Jacht meaning "hunt". It was originally defined as a light fast sailing vessel used by the Dutch navy to pursue pirates and other transgressors around and into the shallow waters of the Low Countries. After its selection by Charles II of England as the vessel to carry him to Britain from Holland for his restoration in 1660, it came to be used to mean a vessel used to convey important persons.
- also known as 遊艇
- Yacht a.k.a. Boat: A boat is a watercraft of any size designed to float or plane, to work or travel on water. Small boats are typically found on inland or in protected coastal areas. However, boats such as the whaleboat were designed for operation from a ship in an offshore environment. In naval terms, a boat is a vessel small enough to be carried aboard another vessel. Another less restrictive definition is a vessel that can be lifted out of the water. Some definitions do not make a distinction in size, as 1000-foot bulk freighters on the Great Lakes are called oreboats. For reasons of naval tradition, submarines are usually referred to as 'boats' rather than 'ships', regardless of their size and shape.
- Yacht is a public domain dice game, similar to the Latin American game Generala, the English game of Poker Dice, the Scandinavian Yatzy, and the Cheerio. It is also known as the predecessor of Yahtzee.
- Yacht is a TV spot.
- award: - Clio Award for Film nomination for BBDO New York
Phrases with Yacht
Phrases starting with the word Yacht:
Phrases ending with the word Yacht:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Yacht
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Chambers's Journal (1890)
The Kaiser's chief yacht is the Holmnzollern, an iron paddle- ship ...
The Kaiser's chief yacht is the Holienzollern, an iron paddle- ship ...
by Bryan Leyland
used for measuring the speed of a yacht is a satisfactory alternative to an expensive flow meter. A geological overview is needed to establish the risk of landslides and settlement of any structures.
My First Dictionary (2012)
by DK Publishing
yacht A yacht is a big, fast boat with a.
The Rover Boys MEGAPACK® (2017)
26 Boys' Adventure Novels by Edward Stratemeyer
The steam yacht is a large one and can readily THE ROVER BOYSONTREASURE ISLE | 1779.
Ultimate Sailing Adventures (2009)
100 Extraordinary Experiences on the Water by Miles Kendall
Even a swamped or listing yacht is a safer refuge than a lifeboat and is far easier for the rescue services to detect. If the worst happens and you do have to inflate your liferaft, make sure that it's tied on securely before you throw it over the side.
Nantucket Impressions (2001)
by Robert Gambee, Elizabeth Heard
The motor yacht is a relatively recent invention, slow to catch on with the general public. Although Ole Evinrude invented a detachable rowboat motor in 1909, the wealthy were attracted to steam yachts, some of which reached lengths of over ...
Including Key Largo and Key West by Candace Leslie
com Chartering Captain Craig Eubank's 46-foot sportfishing yacht is an exercise in style. Mr. Zis air-conditioned and boasts astereo, TV, VCR and fully equipped wet bar ...
by Guy de Maupassant
a wealthy Greek shipowner now mainly remembered as the second husband of the widow of President Kennedy, is said to have remarked: “The great thing about a yacht is that you raise anchor and tell the entire world to bugger off. It's pure ...
The Disneyland Encyclopedia (2012)
The Unofficial, Unauthorized, and Unprecedented History of Every Land, Attraction, Restaurant, Shop, and Major Event in the Original Magic Kingdom by Chris Strodder
Basically a place for fast food, the Yacht Club was a freestanding counter-service eatery alongside the Tomorrowland lagoon (hence the “yacht” reference). The aquatic theme included an exterior display of nautical pennants; the rest of the ...
An Encyclopedia by Steven A. Riess
The New York Yacht Club (NYYC) was founded on July 30, 1844, by nine wealthy New Yorkers, led by shipping magnate John Cox Stevens, its first commodore. The club«s first race, later that year, took the members from the lower East River ...
by Homero E. Martinez
Bareboat or Bare Boat (Yacht): A sailboat or powerboat for hire without crew.
by Michael Lück
In October 1907, the International Yacht Racing Union (IYRU) was founded in Paris. In August 1996, the Union changed its name to the International Sailing Federation. The idea of founding the ...
Yacht Club.— The New York Yacht Club is the oldest as well as the largest ot the clubs of this kind now existing m this city, having been organized in 1844. At that time the men who could afford private yachts were not numerous, and it was ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Yacht
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Yacht
Click on an item to view that photo:
Yacht tied up next to a pier in Hastings, Victoria (Westernport Bay).
Photo credit: Toni Brient
This yacht was docked near the Aloha Tower. Looks like a pretty fancy boat.
Photo credit: daryl_mitchell
A yacht off Saltdean
Photo credit: Elsie esq.
Photo credit: JeanbaptisteM
Photo credit: malcolm.debono
Yacht performing at the Pix Patisserie Bastille Day Block Party in Portland, Oregon.
Photo credit: Peat Bakke
Photo credit: guybo
Photo credit: pandemia
Processed with VSCOcam with g3 preset
Photo credit: lorenkerns
A yacht sailing serenely past, on its way out to the sea.
Photo credit: Steve Parker
Acrylics on box canvas. 24" (61cm) x 18" (46cm).
Photo credit: Art by MarkAC
- Yacht Nirvana
Photo credit: grongar
- Yacht off Rothesay
Taken from MV Bute
Photo credit: dun_deagh
- Yacht Abramowitsch
Photo credit: koelnblogging.com
- A yacht
Near Shoreham. Near the shore!
Photo credit: Elsie esq.
- Soft yacht
Photo credit: :: Suwaif ::
- Posh Yacht
Photo credit: offwhitehouse
- Yacht, Helford River
Photo credit: Tim Green aka atoach
- Chrome Yacht
Photo credit: Podknox
- The expensive yacht at Honolulu Harbor.
Apparently owned by a Russian billionaire.
Photo credit: jdnx
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Yacht
Click on an item to play that video:
- Yacht Meaning
Video shows what yacht means. A slick and light ship for making pleasure trips or racing on water, having sails but often motor-powered. At times used as a ...
- Definition of Party Holiday Yacht Party 2014 | Labor Day Weekend
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Yacht harbour construction work
- Spencer Brigg's Description of a Yacht he boarded on May 25, 2014
Quotes about Yacht
Scrabble value of Y4A1C3H4T1
The value of this 5-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of YACHT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Yacht!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Yacht to see it in context!