Yam appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Mayhem, eh Yam?
- May a banana nab a yam
- I yam, fun 'nuf. May I?
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun yam
What does yam mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: yams
- edible tuber of any of several yams
- any of a number of tropical vines of the genus Dioscorea many having edible tuberous roots
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonym of yam: yam plant
- more generic word: vine = a plant with a weak stem that derives support from climbing, twining, or creeping along a surface
- more specific terms:
- Dioscorea alata / water yam / white yam = grown in Australasia and Polynesia for its large root with fine edible white flesh
- Dioscorea batata / cinnamon vine / Chinese yam = hardy Chinese vine naturalized in United States and cultivated as an ornamental climber for its glossy heart-shaped cinnamon-scented leaves and in the tropics for its edible tubers
- Dioscorea bulbifera / air potato = yam of tropical Africa and Asia cultivated for it large tubers
- Dioscorea trifida / cush-cush = tropical American yam with small yellow edible tubers
- member of: Dioscorea / genus Dioscorea = yams
- sweet potato with deep orange flesh that remains moist when baked
- edible tuberous root of various yam plants of the genus Dioscorea grown in the tropics world-wide for food
Alternative definition of the noun yam
- [botany] Any climbing vine of the genus Dioscorea in the Eastern and Western hemispheres, usually cultivated
- The edible, starchy, tuberous root of that plant, a tropical staple food.
- [US] A sweet potato; a tuber from the genus Ipomoea.
- [Scotland] Potato.
- [context: West Cumbria] home.
- Yam is a fictional character from Yam Yasothon and Yam Yasothon 2, Thai musical romantic comedy film.
- Yam is a fictional character from the TV series Maalaala Mo Kaya.
Who is Yam?
Yam is the son of Noah, according to islamic sources.
- child of Noah
Yam a.k.a. Sault Ste. Marie Airport, is an international airport located 8.0 nautical miles west-southwest of the city of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada at the far eastern end of Lake Superior and the beginning of the St. Mary's River.
- Yam is a supply point route messenger system employed and extensively used and expanded by Genghis Khan and used by subsequent Great Khans and Khans.
- Yam was the Levantine god of the sea, popular in the Bronze and Early Iron Ages. Yam, from the Canaanite word Yam meaning "Sea", also written Yaw, is one name of the Ugaritic god of Rivers and Sea. Also titled Judge Nahar, he is also one of the 'ilhm or sons of El, the name given to the Levantine pantheon. Others dispute the existence of the alternative names, claiming it is a mistranslation of a damaged tablet. Despite linguistic overlap, theologically this god is not a part of the later subregional monotheistic theology, but rather is part of a broader and archaic Levantine polytheism.
- YAM is a MIME-compliant e-mail client written for AmigaOS based computers. It supports multi-POP3, APOP, SMTP, TLSv1/SSLv3, multiple users, PGP, unlimited hierarchical folders, filters, a configurable GUI and an ARexx interface and many other features which are common for Mail User Agents today.
- official website: www.yam.ch
- Yam a.k.a. Yamba Language: Yamba is a Grassfields language of Cameroon, with a small number in Nigeria.
- also known as Mbubem, Swe'nga, Kaka, Boenga Ko Muzok, Bebaroe, Mbem, Kakayamba, Yamba
- YAM is a website.
- also known as Airport Code YAM, YAM Airport Code, Sault Ste. Marie Airport
Phrases with Yam
Phrases starting with the word Yam:
Phrases ending with the word Yam:
- Air Yam
- Tom yam
- Bush Yam
- Coco Yam
- wild yam
- False Yam
- water yam
- white yam
- Bitter Yam
- Guinea Yam
- Indian Yam
- Lesser Yam
- Purple yam
- Winged Yam
- Yellow Yam
- Bulbous Yam
- chinese yam
View more phrases with the word Yam in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Yam
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Research and Development into Commercial Yam Processing in Nigeria: Cadbury's Poundo Yam J. S. T. Bogunjoko Abstract Yam is a staple food crop in Nigeria. Annual output is about 15 million t. Among the most popular dishes made from ...
by Alessandro A. Borio
Yam is the god of the waters: the seas, rivers, lakes, etc. The myths refer to him...
Essence of spiritualism (2006)
Yam is a phenomenon between you and others, you and the society. lt is a more conscious behavior: you don't react unconsciously, you don't react like a mechanism, like a robot. You become more conscious; you become more alert.
Root and Tuber Crops (2010)
by J.E. Bradshaw
Yam is a multi-species, polyploid, and vegetatively propagated crop, exclusively propagated by means of “setts,” small tubers or small pieces of tuber. The word “ yam” is believed to have originated from the tribal African word, “niam” (Coursey, ...
Putting God on Trial (2004)
The Biblical Book of Job by Robert Sutherland
1°4 The chaos monster Yam is a “dragon”, a “writhing serpent”, an “Encircler with seven heads”. This seven headed dragon is the chaos water that encircles the earth. Yam is the Canaanite Leviathan. Atik is a mythological bull calf. From other ...
by International Institute of Tropical Agriculture
Dioscorea rotundata Poir (white yam, white guinea yam) is a monocot of the genus Dioscorea, family Dioscoreaceae. It produces edible underground tubers. The crop is vegetatively propagated, using tuber pieces. White yam is the most ...
Notes and Queries (1880)
Yam is the name of the well-known large esculent root, and toko = coco, which is a vegetable something like vegetable marrow or marrow-squash, grown and eaten (with relish) in Jamaica. For t=c, see Max Miiller, Lectures, ii. 184 (ed. 1871 ).
Over 1000 Natural Remedies to Prevent and Cure Common Ailments by C. Shealy, Norman Shealy
• Wild yam is the starting point for synthesization of ...
Made in 1763 and 1764, Under the Command of M. de Bougainville, in Order to Form a Settlement There by Antoine-Joseph Pernety
The yam is a creeping plant, furnished with branches which take root, and spring up again without cultivation; so that if care is not taken to root out a number of them, they will soon spread all over the soil, though there should not have been ...
Yam is a preferred food of people from Caribbean, African and Pacific origins residing in the United States of America and the United Kingdom. This has resulted in export trading of great potential to the Jamaican economy. The cultivation of ...
by Eng Chong Pua, Michael R. Davey
Yam is the common name for a number of species of the genus Dioscorea. The most commonly cultivated African yams are ...
Anthropological Report on the Ibo-speaking Peoples of Nigeria: English-Ibo and Ibo-English dictionary (1913)
by Northcote Whitridge Thomas
yam creeper, ...
by Robert Cæsar Childers
Yam yad eva and yah had eva, whatsoever. Yam yam pabbqjitdnam upakdriya samrattati tarn tabbam mapetvd, ...
Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose
YAM. of bread or potatoes ; the flour is also made into bread or — v— ' pudding. A great many species' are described by botanists, but they are imperfectly known, being very similar in appearance, and not remarkable for beauty. The roots of ...
by Marion Eugene Ensminger, Audrey H. Ensminger
Therefore, the name yam bean will be the sole designation used in the rest of this article. Fig. Y-3 shows a typical yam bean. Fig. Y-3. tuber. The yam bean, a leguminous plant which has an edible ORIGIN AND HISTORY. Various species of ...
by Michael T. Murray, Joseph Pizzorno
Bake the yam chips at 300 degrees F. until crispy, or approximately 20 minutes. • Slice open a baked yam and top with a driz- zle of maple syrup and a few walnuts . • Add grated yams to recipes that feature potatoes, such as potato pancakes ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Yam
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Yam
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Yam Yam.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Yam
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Yam
When you plant a yam it produces another yam.
more quotes about yam...
Scrabble value of Y4A1M3
The value of this 3-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of YAM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Yam!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Yam to see it in context!